Hatchling Eye Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Okay, in another post I spoke about an odd behavior with my hatchling walking around with her eyes closed all the time. She started eating again and keeping her eyes open and everything was looking good. This morning, however, when I went down to feed the crew, her eye above the right eyeball is a whitish, creamy color. It looks like the color of a pimple to be popped. (eeww) But that is the best way to describe it. I called my vet and they told me to rinse it with warm water or saline and see what happens. Has anyone ever had this problem? She shows no signs of being sick other than the eye. Let me know what you think. I will be changing their substrate tomorrow from the 50/50 soil sand to aspen. I am wondering if it is irritated from dirt?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It could be an eye infection Dee. Can you post a picture? Keep it clean and try to get some Vetropolycin from your vet, that will help.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
These pics are not very good. My camera does not get up close well. Vetropolycin an antibiotic eye drop, ointment? I want to sound like I know what I am talking about.
DSC07701.jpg

DSC07702.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Also, The white makes it look like it is much larger than the other side. But in reality it isn't that much bigger just gives that illusion.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's an ointment Dee. :D

What that looks like to be is he/she shedded the scales on top of the eye. :p That's why it looks light colored, because it is. :D

The ointment is good to have around though.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Oh I hope so! It would be great if that is all it is. I am still going to keep rinsing the eye for a couple of days just in case. I'd rather be safe than sorry! It was just weird how one day it was fine and the next it was there. Thanks again for all of your help!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Well, I tried to get vetropolycin from my vet and he would not give it to me. Guess he does not know me well enough. So, if it is shedding and goes away then cool. If not, I have to drive 45 minutes and pay $75-100. That's the way it goes.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
$ 75 - 100 is that what they quote you?? I think that is the eye ointment I have and I only paid 28.00 bucks for it. Hmm Hopefully it is not an eye infection, but it is better to be safe then sorry.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :rolleyes: I just fainted :p $28 for Vetropolycin. I hope thats a bigger tube than I get Jen. Mine is 3.5g and I pay $8
Not even going to say anything about the $75-$100 Dee.

Danny

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I have to pay for a full exam and the meds. The won't give it to me without. Bummer......

Status
Not open for further replies.