Which Tortoise For Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demo183

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Hello all this is my first post. My name is Phil. I live just north of boston, massachusetts and am looking for a good first tortoise. I hear a lot of good about Russian tortoises but I have a few concerns I'd like answers to. I will be keeping it indoors in my room, but will allow supervised outdoor grazing when weather permits. My main concern is that during the summer months I keep my room in the constant 60's because I don't tolerate heat well. Would this be a problem for a tortoise? Could heat lamps fix the coldness of my room inside the cage? Which tortoise would you recommend? Any questions just ask!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Phil and welcome to teh forum...

I think if you can keep the temps high in a tortoises enclosure then all will be good, just know that the heat from the enclosure will heat your room up some. Also if you keep the room that cold you will need a day time light and a red light for night the puts out heat but not a lot of light.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome Phil. I think Russians are a great first tortoise, they are readily available and there is plenty of good info on their care out there. Yes you can keep your tortoise warm in a cooler room using lamps. You might also consider a ceramic heat emitter to keep the tort warm at night, or you could look at heating cable to run underneath the enclosure, this would also help you keep the humidity needed for a Russian if you kept your substrate moist. Lots of good ideas on this forum regarding this topic so be sure to check some more out!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Phil:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Phil welcome to the TFO :) a Russian will make a great first tort for you :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises need heat and sunshine. Have you considered an amphibian? They like it cooler and your A/C won't have to constantly fight the heating equipment of a tortoise enclosure.

Welcome to the forum. Hope we are able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.