Conserving energy usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I have a bit of a problem. I keep adding tortoises and therefore adding lights. My current electric bill is $608. The heat bulbs I think are the culprits more then the UVB bulbs. Are the Megaray bulbs more cost effective? Any other options out there? The room is a dedicated snake room, which is kept at 83-85 at all times for an ambient room temp. Do I really need hot basking spots with an ambient room temp like that? The floor of the room is usually around 78.

Any ideas? The heat lamps are going to have to go. Something has to give here. I still have until probably May before my torts can go outside here. The room has to be kept heated for the snakes, so that cant change.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I would do UV tubes and go with incandescent bulbs for heat and only have the incandescents on for 6 hours a day. Thats what I do. I have a ton more lamps going and my bill is at about $440 a month now. :D

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thanks Danny, I will definitely have to give that a try.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two clamp light fixtures in every house. One is a 60 watt regular incandescent bulb that gets turned on in the a.m. and off in the evening. The other holds a $3 G.E. black light bulb that gets turned on in the evening and off in the a.m. I used to use the ceramic heat emitters and my electric bill was off the chart. When I changed to black lites the bill dropped in half. The light bulbs heat up the ambient air just fine!

Yvonne

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i think i'm just repeating what danny said, but fluorescents will use less power than incandescents. maybe try leaving the UVB fluorescent on for daylight and timing the incandescent (basking) lamp for the heat of the day. sounds like your ambient temps are high enough to not require additional heat all day long...

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I have been using regular light bulbs for basking for a while. They work great with the fluorescent. Never thought of using a black light for night heat though. What a great idea! Love this place......

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree I am going to have to try the different bulbs, I feel your bill Angie.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Yikes!! And just today my husband came into the kitchen and said, why don't we just widdle down some of these animals and keep just the turtles and frogs(we have 2 teeny tiny green frogs that hatched? from tadpole late oct that I couldn't let outside) If he ever saw this thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.