Which tortoise does well in dry humidity?

Rynan

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I was reading online that states radiated tortoise can be kept in 50% humidity. Idk if that is true but got me wondering what other species of tortoises can be kept in dry humidity?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was reading online that states radiated tortoise can be kept in 50% humidity. Idk if that is true but got me wondering what other species of tortoises can be kept in dry humidity?
Are you asking about adults or babies?

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Adults. I'm just assuming most babies need humidity.
You would be very correct with that assumption.
As far as adults go (full grown tortoises)
Leopard tortoises tend to do quite well in drier climates- once adults they can live in as low as 45% humidity
keep in mind, Leopard tortoises are considered a medium tortoise breed and can get up to 18-20 inches, so you're going to need quite a large enclosure (out doors when weather permits)
If you are looking for a smaller tortoise, a Russian Tortoise might be the one for you. They require around 30-50% humidity and only get around 7- 10" depending on gender (females get larger) Don't let their small size fool you though, they have huge personalities, and still need a whole lot of room! ( I have a 5" Russian Tortoise that will be kept in a 5' by 5' enclosure. (once again outside is best when weather permits) (for all tortoises)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Adults. I'm just assuming most babies need humidity.
I agree with your assessment.

As adults, the following species do well in drier climates in my experience:
sulcata
leopards
russians
hermanni
greeks
egyptians
pancakes
chersina
chacos
stars
radiata
desert tortoises (Gopherus sp.)
galapagos

The following do not do as well under normal circumstances:
RF
YF
aldabras
manouria
indotestudo
kinixsys

Having said that, any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, effort and money. It boils down to ease of keeping and how much effort it will take to help a given species survive in a disadvantageous environment. You can keep a RF in SoCal, it just takes a lot of effort to maintain the correct temps and humidity. A RF would be much easier to maintain in South FL. Conversely, adult leopards usually fare quite well in SoCal, but some people have trouble keeping them healthy in South FL due to all the humidity and rain that keeps everything wet all the time. These are broad generalizations, but hopefully answered your question.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You would be very correct with that assumption.
As far as adults go (full grown tortoises)
Leopard tortoises tend to do quite well in drier climates- once adults they can live in as low as 45% humidity
keep in mind, Leopard tortoises are considered a medium tortoise breed and can get up to 18-20 inches, so you're going to need quite a large enclosure (out doors when weather permits)
If you are looking for a smaller tortoise, a Russian Tortoise might be the one for you. They require around 30-50% humidity and only get around 7- 10" depending on gender (females get larger) Don't let their small size fool you though, they have huge personalities, and still need a whole lot of room! ( I have a 5" Russian Tortoise that will be kept in a 5' by 5' enclosure. (once again outside is best when weather permits) (for all tortoises)
Sapphire, my little Russian, is a 5 inch bulldozer and he's probably 20 years. Most likely or maybe his previous surroundings stunted him but he's ok now. I've read that that size isn't usual but that they are out there. His shell has healed up nicely over the years also but he's never gotten larger. He's a little 5×5 tortie going about his business 🐢🤗 Since our best humidity as a person is 40-60% percent it's about a perfect match right 👍

Hzwolun

Fairfax County VA
if have to pick one, then leopards
Also, Russians are easy to take care of
Aldabra's can survive in low humid also but won't grow as fast as in high humid