Which substrate is best?

LucyA

Location (City and/or State)
Crawley
Hi,

I'm thinking of changing my Hermann tortoise's substrate. I have seen lots of people mix eco earth with top soil but is top soil just from somewhere like Wickes okay? Or does it have to be special to ensure safety? Also I have seen this Tortoise Life substrate online at Pets at Home which I imagine you just use by itself, without having to mix anything with it? Which option would you choose/is best? See pictures for detail. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-121955_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-121955_Samsung Internet.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20200628-122112_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-122112_Samsung Internet.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 22

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
There will be debate over the use of sand in your substrate but its found naturally in the wild so if you don't want to make your own I would go with the ProRep.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
Fir bark, coco coir and cypress mulch are the go to substrate choices around here. No need to mix with soil because its very hard to find soil without additives, compost, or fertilizer.

LucyA

Crawley
There will be debate over the use of sand in your substrate but its found naturally in the wild so if you don't want to make your own I would go with the ProRep.
Thank you. This may sound stupid but does the Pets at Home ProRep have traces of sand in it then? I'm always wary about buying substrates etc. from Pets at Home as they are a big company, they sometimes put profit before what's best for the animals.

LucyA

Crawley
Fir bark, coco coir and cypress mulch are the go to substrate choices around here. No need to mix with soil because its very hard to find soil without additives, compost, or fertilizer.
Thank you. That's what I was thinking with the top soil; may end up getting something that can be very dangerous for my little tortie! Just to clarify, are they all similar/different names for the eco earth?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
This is from the care sheet (found here) written by the breeder I bought my Hermann's from:

1593350109446.png

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I'm no expert on the subject but I use sand in my substrate and have yet to have a problem. If you are worried about it then I would say don't use use it

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Thank you! What about the problem that may occur with impaction?

I've long believed impaction is caused by dehydration more than the actual substrate itself (small particulate substrates). Sand was popular when some keepers were trying to keep animals as dry as possible, so it got a bad rep. Kinda like the thinking about protein that originated at the same time. Not a problem in a well hydrated animal. 100% sand is a poor choice for other reasons, but I don't think sand as part of a mix is dangerous.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
Thank you. That's what I was thinking with the top soil; may end up getting something that can be very dangerous for my little tortie! Just to clarify, are they all similar/different names for the eco earth?
Eco earth is a pet brand and yes its similar but you can find the same product at a hardware shop for a fraction of the cost

LucyA

Crawley
Eco earth is a pet brand and yes its similar but you can find the same product at a hardware shop for a fraction of the cost
Thank you. Again, may sound stupid but what would it be called? "Eco earth" obviously isn't found in hardware shops.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Thank you. Again, may sound stupid but what would it be called? "Eco earth" obviously isn't found in hardware shops.

Eco Earth is coconut fiber or coir. It may also be called coco peat since it's often used in place of peat.

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Taunton, MA
Cypress mulch or fir bark are both similar to eco earth

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've long believed impaction is caused by dehydration more than the actual substrate itself (small particulate substrates). Sand was popular when some keepers were trying to keep animals as dry as possible, so it got a bad rep. Kinda like the thinking about protein that originated at the same time. Not a problem in a well hydrated animal. 100% sand is a poor choice for other reasons, but I don't think sand as part of a mix is dangerous.
Tell that to all the sand impaction cases that my vet friends have to cut open...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I'm thinking of changing my Hermann tortoise's substrate. I have seen lots of people mix eco earth with top soil but is top soil just from somewhere like Wickes okay? Or does it have to be special to ensure safety? Also I have seen this Tortoise Life substrate online at Pets at Home which I imagine you just use by itself, without having to mix anything with it? Which option would you choose/is best? See pictures for detail. Thanks.
The pets at home stuff is a terrible idea. Encouraging tortoises to eat sandy substrate to satisfy their calcium cravings makes no sense at all.

Sand should never be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is a serious impaction risk and a possible skin and eye irritant. Many people used to use it in the past, but we know better now. Its not worth the risk since there are safer and better alternatives.

Soil should never be used either. It is made from composted yard waste and it could be toxic plants, or it could be yard clipping treated with all sorts of pesticides and chemicals.

The best substrate for babies is a thick layer of hand packed damp coco coir. For adults, dampened fine grade orchid bark works best.

LucyA

Crawley
So would this type of substrate from
The pets at home stuff is a terrible idea. Encouraging tortoises to eat sandy substrate to satisfy their calcium cravings makes no sense at all.

Sand should never be used as a substrate for tortoises. It is a serious impaction risk and a possible skin and eye irritant. Many people used to use it in the past, but we know better now. Its not worth the risk since there are safer and better alternatives.

Soil should never be used either. It is made from composted yard waste and it could be toxic plants, or it could be yard clipping treated with all sorts of pesticides and chemicals.

The best substrate for babies is a thick layer of hand packed damp coco coir. For adults, dampened fine grade orchid bark works best.

Thank you for the information! I always see conflicted opinions so never know which one is the right one! At the moment I have my tortoise on beech chip in the main part and aspen bedding (both from pets at home)in his little hide part of his enclosure. I recently was told beech chip should not be used for tortoises. And soil/eco earth is much better. I have found this on Amazon, what do you think?

Attachments

• 20200628_224823.jpg
    20200628_224823.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have found this on Amazon, what do you think?
That is coco coir. AKA eco-earth, coco peat, etc...

Beech chips and aspen are both no good because they are too dry and cannot be dampened.

LucyA

Crawley
That is coco coir. AKA eco-earth, coco peat, etc...

Beech chips and aspen are both no good because they are too dry and cannot be dampened.

That's what I thought, thank you. Would the coco coir be okay for my tortoise? He is roughly 10 years old. I cannot find any fine grade orchid bark.