Best Substrate

Kimbles2009

Location (City and/or State)
Peterborough UK
Hello everyone,

Please can someone tell me if the best substrate for a 6ish year old Horsfields is top soil with sand mixed in or coco coir?

I use top soil/play sand at the moment but he is really rubbish at burying himself in it and rather than digging down (its plenty deep enough) he just sits on top of it in the corner of his hide and scratches at the side of the enclosure! It drives me insane!! I didnt know whether there might be a better substrate to use that he can bury himself in better and get cosy?

Thank you!

Kim

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

DaVinci

South Wales
Hi, mine is now on a retail substrate topped with orchid bark. He doesn’t tend to bury himself either indoors or out but hides in books and crannies. He has settled since adding the bark in. Hope this helps. I used the guide above to help with set up.

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Hello everyone,

Please can someone tell me if the best substrate for a 6ish year old Horsfields is top soil with sand mixed in or coco coir?

I use top soil/play sand at the moment but he is really rubbish at burying himself in it and rather than digging down (its plenty deep enough) he just sits on top of it in the corner of his hide and scratches at the side of the enclosure! It drives me insane!! I didnt know whether there might be a better substrate to use that he can bury himself in better and get cosy?

Thank you!

Kim
He might be scratching the enclosure because it’s too small, Hermanns require a minimum of 8ft by 4ft of space. Read the care sheet in post #2, it will explain everything.