Which fencing material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
Hi guys... I need your help and experience again. I need to put fencing around my garden to keep my new sullies out. Both are 16in and 25lbs. Their enclosures have landscape blocks stacked 4 high, but I want to use something different with my garden.
So from your experience what materials worked best -that looked nice but also was Sully-proof. I am worried about them destroying a fence by ramming into it or attempting to climb it.
Thank you guys for your advice/suggestions!!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I am hoping I can get some advice, I am worried they will attempt to climb or push thru a chain link fence, smash thru a wood fence and push over a plastic fence. Hmmm.......

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Whatever you use, make it be solid. If they can see through, then they will always and continually try to get through. I like to use corral boards nailed up horizontally to 4x4 posts.

07-05-12a.jpg

I have a 110lb sulcata living on the other side of this fence. It contains him.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Be sure to mount horizontals inside upright posts facing tort.

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Thank you Yvonne and Larry. I never even considered corral boards... Haha and I live in Texas with corrals everywhere! And Larry Thank you for pointing out that requirement. I totally understand the reason behind it but once again never thought of it. Thank you guys for saving me time, frustration and $$.:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use plain old grey cinder blocks stacked 2 high.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Any PT boards should do the trick. We use 2x10's, very strong and stable! I also know many that use concrete blocks as dmmj indicated, they seem to work well and are easily rearrangeable or movable if needed.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Landscape timbers or railroad ties are cost effective and look decent if installed correctly. 2xanythings are way to expensive for what they are, and I've had a 90lb Sulcata go right through corral boards. You have to be careful when pressure treated wood starts drying either way. Some of it cracks and goes brittle, which is always a weak point when any Tortoise decides to test a fence.......The landscape timbers may warp a bit, but I have never seem one break over anything but hydraulic pressure.........

Status
Not open for further replies.