Fencing materials

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I wanted to discuss fencing options for larger tortoises like Aldabras and Galapagos.
I know that the best option for fencing is wood. Easy on the shell, they can't see through it or climb and so on. Most places that I have gone to visit larger tortoises seem to use at least some amount of chain link fencing though. When I scroll through pictures in this forum I see mostly wood but I also see chain link, wire horse fence and even wire field fence too.

Is there a size when it is considered safe to use non wood fencing for large tortoise species? Is it when their arms or limbs don't fit though the openings?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@ALDABRAMAN can best answer this.
From what I have seen. The non wood fencing would be best for young ones. Once they get big they would need to wood fences.
Take a look thru some of Aldabramans posts. He even had to extend the height of his wood fence as the cactus grew taller and his one Male giant started to climb the wood fence.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I meant to say limbs or heads won't fit through.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This is a question all with large tortoises deal whenever considering expanding/building an enclosure. Price is a huge consideration. To enclose an acre is about 800 ft of fencing. Just the matericals for a block wall runs over $20 per ft. To hire it done - $35 per ft. For a perimeter wall block is my first choice as it is the best security fence for your property as well. So - $16,000 - $28,000 to do an acre.

Wood has the concern of how long it will last. Many use metal posts for the best life, and 2x6 or 2x8 rails. Otherwise 4x posts but there is the issue of eventually the posts will rot. even pressure treated - the only way to go with wood posts. I probably would go with 3 rails to start spaced 2" - 4" apart to get more height and save some on cost. 3- 2x8's with the bottom 2" off ground, then a 2" gap, then a 4" gap. That would give almost a 30" high fence. In Calif. 2x8 pressure treated is running about $1.75 per ft. So with posts and cement to anchor posts, you are still looking at about $8 - $9 per ft. $6400 - $7200 for an acre.

The least expensive way that I've seen work well is using welded wire on either metal or wood posts. The 14 ga wire that is PVC coated. 36" tall will run about $2.25 per ft. So with posts and cement maybe $4 - $5 per ft. It is see through and you can get it with different size openings between wire - from 2"x2" to 4"x6" etc. I've seen the larger opening used, that the tortoise could get their legs and head though, but has caused no problems at all for several years. $3200 - $5000 for an acre.

A lot of the issues you hear about - seeing through, testing the fence, etc, is mitigated greatly by having a properly sized, well planted enclosure.

Also look at the post @NorCal tortoise guy has done with his enclosures. He sourced used PVC 55 gal barrels. Depending upon your resourcefulness to locate probably $5 - $8 ea. Cut in half and filled with dirt, also provides plenty of planter space for tortoise food and improving the look of the barrel fence. The cost of fill dirt is to be considered as quite a bit is needed. But you could probably do a fence like that for $3 - $4 per ft. $2400 - $3200 for an acre.

NO matter what you do - it is costly to build a good enclosure for large tortoises.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
This is a question all with large tortoises deal whenever considering expanding/building an enclosure. Price is a huge consideration. To enclose an acre is about 800 ft of fencing. Just the matericals for a block wall runs over $20 per ft. To hire it done - $35 per ft. For a perimeter wall block is my first choice as it is the best security fence for your property as well. So - $16,000 - $28,000 to do an acre.

Wood has the concern of how long it will last. Many use metal posts for the best life, and 2x6 or 2x8 rails. Otherwise 4x posts but there is the issue of eventually the posts will rot. even pressure treated - the only way to go with wood posts. I probably would go with 3 rails to start spaced 2" - 4" apart to get more height and save some on cost. 3- 2x8's with the bottom 2" off ground, then a 2" gap, then a 4" gap. That would give almost a 30" high fence. In Calif. 2x8 pressure treated is running about $1.75 per ft. So with posts and cement to anchor posts, you are still looking at about $8 - $9 per ft. $6400 - $7200 for an acre.

The least expensive way that I've seen work well is using welded wire on either metal or wood posts. The 14 ga wire that is PVC coated. 36" tall will run about $2.25 per ft. So with posts and cement maybe $4 - $5 per ft. It is see through and you can get it with different size openings between wire - from 2"x2" to 4"x6" etc. I've seen the larger opening used, that the tortoise could get their legs and head though, but has caused no problems at all for several years. $3200 - $5000 for an acre.

A lot of the issues you hear about - seeing through, testing the fence, etc, is mitigated greatly by having a properly sized, well planted enclosure.

Also look at the post @NorCal tortoise guy has done with his enclosures. He sourced used PVC 55 gal barrels. Depending upon your resourcefulness to locate probably $5 - $8 ea. Cut in half and filled with dirt, also provides plenty of planter space for tortoise food and improving the look of the barrel fence. The cost of fill dirt is to be considered as quite a bit is needed. But you could probably do a fence like that for $3 - $4 per ft. $2400 - $3200 for an acre.

NO matter what you do - it is costly to build a good enclosure for large tortoises.
I must say I am very happy with the barrel fence it works great. The rounded shape slows down shell rubbing and even so if they do rub the plastic is non abrasive. The cut in half barrels provides about an 18 inch high fence. That works well for Sulcatas. When I build an adult pen for my Aldabras I plan to cut just the top out of the barrels there by having about 36 inch tall fence. I am also planing to bolt the barrels together with stainless bolts so there is no chance a barrel could be tipped over. This type of fence a lot of work but so far it’s the most cost effective option I have come up with and I have tired lots of things over the years. And as luck would have it it’s also the best functioning fence I’ve ever had.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the detailed reply. I suspected that wire fencing would be most suitable for larger pastures where the tortoise didn't have a need or desire to get to the other side of the fence.

I grew up in So-Cal and had a desert tortoise. The Northridge quake in 1994 knocked over our block wall on him. He didn't die right away but we could never get him to recover from his injuries. This wouldn't be a problem with a short wall but I think it just goes to show that there is no perfect fence for every property or area of the country.

I have lot of experience with fencing. I've put up thousands of feet of woven wire goat fencing, 4 board, and high tensile electric fencing on our property over the last few years. I've got every farm fencing tool known to man including a machine that drives wood posts into the ground like a nail. I have the experience and equipment to build what the tortoises need. I mostly lack the ability to make a decision on what it should look look like and where to put it.

I am leaning towards woven wire horse fence right now. This won't be their final enclosure so if it doesn't work the next version can be wood.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I would imagine it is easy for them to tear the wood fence apart once the wood or fasteners start to decay a little bit. Especially if they can push the wood off the post instead of into it.

I moved our Aldabras to one of our empty goat pastures this morning. I set them all down in a water filled ditch. Two haven’t moved at all but the third tried forcing itself through the fence for an hour before giving up.
This fence is 4x4 woven goat fence with two hot wires on the inside. They are turned off for the tortoises safety right now.
It’s stressful for me to watch him at the fence, I’m sure he feels the same. I’m coming back around to the wood fence option right now.
673B12AA-0BDD-4EC5-BC76-1CF22DB2313C.jpeg76975F71-7E80-44F1-8714-342A199965B2.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I would imagine it is easy for them to tear the wood fence apart once the wood or fasteners start to decay a little bit. Especially if they can push the wood off the post instead of into it.

I moved our Aldabras to one of our empty goat pastures this morning. I set them all down in a water filled ditch. Two haven’t moved at all but the third tried forcing itself through the fence for an hour before giving up.
This fence is 4x4 woven goat fence with two hot wires on the inside. They are turned off for the tortoises safety right now.
It’s stressful for me to watch him at the fence, I’m sure he feels the same. I’m coming back around to the wood fence option right now.
View attachment 332252View attachment 332253
Beautiful looking Aldabras, Dustin.

You could go with a single 1x12 skirt around the bottom of that fence. Screw right over the wire 1" off the ground. Keeps rot and termite damage at bay longer and would give more of a sight barrier and wood to push against. Would probably eliminate the testing in that nice enclosure.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Beautiful looking Aldabras, Dustin.

You could go with a single 1x12 skirt around the bottom of that fence. Screw right over the wire 1" off the ground. Keeps rot and termite damage at bay longer and would give more of a sight barrier and wood to push against. Would probably eliminate the testing in that nice enclosure.
I gave up and pulled them out of that pasture. In the second picture you can see the single hot wire being pushed up by the top of the shell. They found that highly irritating. When they would walk up to the edge of the fence and that wire pushed down on them they would get agitated and fight back against it in a defensive manner. On a few occasions they were really grinding against the wire and it was leaving marks.
They didn't seem too stressed by being able to see through though so I don't think it was a total waste of time. I think I will try it again on the one pasture we have without that wire.

I wound up starting work this afternoon on an addition to their existing 16x16 enclosure instead of starting an entire new one for them. I am going add a 48 foot extension for now. That should give me a little more time to figure out version 3.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma

U just made any large tortoise seekers that dont do their research to second guess their decision ... nice job!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
A guy up in Michigan used steel panels since he had neighbors. Other use railroad ties that are secured together with steel and a footer!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
So I wound up adding 48 feet to their current enclosure. It isn't the prettiest thing I have ever built but its not meant to be permanent. I have to build tall to keep our birds out so that complicates things a little.

I am going to start working on the next enclosure in a few weeks. I'm leaning towards a solid wood base but I would like to find a way to test them again on wire fence.

2021-09-06 18.57.00-1.jpg
2021-09-06 18.56.03-1.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can I put my two cents in ? LoL I've seen a few ways of keeping different tortoises.But what I like to use is metal roofing panels. They're are called r-panels. I cut them in half long ways . Push the cut end into the ground and use end caps when making turns or ending a panel.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
So I wound up adding 48 feet to their current enclosure. It isn't the prettiest thing I have ever built but its not meant to be permanent. I have to build tall to keep our birds out so that complicates things a little.

I am going to start working on the next enclosure in a few weeks. I'm leaning towards a solid wood base but I would like to find a way to test them again on wire fence.

View attachment 332382
View attachment 332383
I couldn't imagine what you meant when you said needed to keep your birds out, then I saw the peacocks in the photos. I get it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can I put my two cents in ? LoL I've seen a few ways of keeping different tortoises.But what I like to use is metal roofing panels. They're are called r-panels. I cut them in half long ways . Push the cut end into the ground and use end caps when making turns or ending a panel.
MIKE?????? Good to see you, man!

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
I wanted to discuss fencing options for larger tortoises like Aldabras and Galapagos.
I know that the best option for fencing is wood. Easy on the shell, they can't see through it or climb and so on. Most places that I have gone to visit larger tortoises seem to use at least some amount of chain link fencing though. When I scroll through pictures in this forum I see mostly wood but I also see chain link, wire horse fence and even wire field fence too.

Is there a size when it is considered safe to use non wood fencing for large tortoise species? Is it when their arms or limbs don't fit though the openings?
Hi, we just had part of our cedar fence replaced with steel panels. The steel was much cheaper than the price of the cedar fencing, will probably last longer than our house, and comes in a bunch of great colors!
The steel is typically used for siding or roofing. We used galvanized steel posts every 3 feet to stabilize
I believe it also comes in different sizes, ours is 5‘ tall. We bought it at our local Menards.
I hope this helps, we did not buy it for our tortoise because she’s a leopard and won’t get that big, but it does keep our crazy dogs in!

Attachments

• 0AEC1CAE-1362-4ED9-B561-A2C021ED7BA9.jpeg
    0AEC1CAE-1362-4ED9-B561-A2C021ED7BA9.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 21

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hi, we just had part of our cedar fence replaced with steel panels. The steel was much cheaper than the price of the cedar fencing, will probably last longer than our house, and comes in a bunch of great colors!
The steel is typically used for siding or roofing. We used galvanized steel posts every 3 feet to stabilize
I believe it also comes in different sizes, ours is 5‘ tall. We bought it at our local Menards.
I hope this helps, we did not buy it for our tortoise because she’s a leopard and won’t get that big, but it does keep our crazy dogs in!
What kind of dogs? I worked (a tiny bit) with mine so they don't bounce off the fence, but then again big dogs are quite lazy

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
So true about those big dogs!
I have two, a 17 year Old dachshund who prefers to just stroll and sniff these days, and a nutty Chihuahua/Mexican hairless mix who thinks she must guard everything, LOL!