Where to get a healthy baby sulcata?

Jtglack

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
Hello, I am looking at getting a baby sulcata tortoise, and no this will not be my first tortoise, but I was looking at other forms and one cought my eye against tortoise town, so where should I look?

pokeyncrusher

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
We live in Pittsburgh PA. We have a local reptile show, lots of reputable vendors. But here are some reputable vendors, I know some are online. https://www.pghreptileshow.com/vendorlist.htm. This is a Facebook group for ANYONE, not just Pennsylvania, they could give you direction. search Facebook—Reptiles & Exotic Pets - Western PA, Reptile supplies Buy Sell Trade NJ, PA, NY, DE.————If you go to Facebook, search https://www.facebook.com/search/gro...ZiRPB5ZjVz_iEjQkYyIgp9q4zElKNl7w31-io———there are rehoming and very reputable reptile organizations. I would start with one of these, I know some of the first ones In this list can help find a REPUTABLE seller. Just ask, for your location, our reptile show here has been around since 1989, very very good people.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Lots of people sell babies but few start them correctly look at the how to start babies thread in the sulcata section and try to find a breeder that starts there babies that way. If babies are not stated correctly many die.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We live in Pittsburgh PA. We have a local reptile show, lots of reputable vendors. But here are some reputable vendors, I know some are online. https://www.pghreptileshow.com/vendorlist.htm. This is a Facebook group for ANYONE, not just Pennsylvania, they could give you direction. search Facebook—Reptiles & Exotic Pets - Western PA, Reptile supplies Buy Sell Trade NJ, PA, NY, DE.————If you go to Facebook, search https://www.facebook.com/search/groups/?q=reptile sale groups&f=AboXs8vrlAOiMmxYmLFQNrn6IBDo26eLsq5-ZorEsjYLMcXrFTBG3QvCvg7b3Q6Oz9hmEEDzRlVDhyZuFeuUl3nKM9p5JKZiRPB5ZjVz_iEjQkYyIgp9q4zElKNl7w31-io———there are rehoming and very reputable reptile organizations. I would start with one of these, I know some of the first ones In this list can help find a REPUTABLE seller. Just ask, for your location, our reptile show here has been around since 1989, very very good people.
There is no one in PA and no one on FB that is starting babies even remotely correctly. I'm not saying this to be insulting or start a fight, but this is a fact. There is hardly anyone in the entire world that starts baby sulcatas correctly. Almost everyone, including breeders, vets, "reptile experts", sellers, and book authors still thinks this is a desert species that needs dry conditions. This is universal out in the tortoise community, and it kills a large percentage of the babies that hatch annually.

Before you retort, please take a few minutes to read these threads and understand what I'm talking about. I'm happy to converse about it afterward.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am looking at getting a baby sulcata tortoise, and no this will not be my first tortoise, but I was looking at other forms and one cought my eye against tortoise town, so where should I look?
The only people I know that start sulcata babies correctly are:
Me. I'll have clutches hatching in about two more months. Sudans and regulars.
@Markw84 might still have some well started older babies that I'd highly recommend.
@NorCal tortoise guy is an excellent source now and for years to come.
@Arizona Sulcata is a guy named Austin that starts babies well and has a good track record. Don't confuse him with other sellers in AZ.

That's it. There are no others that I know of. Everyone else is making major mistakes like: Keeping them on dry substrate. Keeping them outside all day. Not soaking daily. Incubating on the wrong media. Skipping the brooder box step. Feeding romaine or spring mix almost exclusively. Not keeping them warm enough. Not keeping them humid enough. Using the wrong substrate. Etc...

If anyone knows of a breeder of sulcatas somewhere that is not making most of these mistakes, please let me know so we can add them to this terribly short list.

Along with the above info, realize that most of these same people starting babies all wrong will give YOU are the wrong care info. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.