where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmacc0

5 Year Member
does anyone have any suggestions for where to buy a tortoise online?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...What species of tortoise are you interested in?
Patsy

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It does depend upon what species you have in mind, but I suggest buying from a reputable breeder, many of which can be found on this site and others. A knowledgeable, conscientious breeder should be willing to provide you photos of the parents, the hatchlings that they have to offer and answer any of your questions or concerns that you may have about the species, their care and more. Most are more than happy to talk tortoise with whoever will listen!

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
You may also want to check around and see if there's a breeder local to you that would let you come by and pick one up instead of shipping. You could also see if there's a reptile show coming soon near you where you could go and pick one out.

TheACO731

5 Year Member
The OC
www.lllreptile.com I have been to their store, I was so impressed with how healthy and well taken care of their animals were, I buy all my stuff from them. They ship fast too! And if you have any problems let me know and I can go to the store and follow up for you in person. They have the cheapest ceramic heaters and UV lights I've found. Whatever their price for reptiles is, pay it! It’s worth it.

tmacc0

5 Year Member
thanks everyone! :) I am looking to buy a Herman tortoise. Probably eastern since I cant seem to find western anywhere..

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Westerns are the rarest of the Hermann's subspecies, even more rare in captivity in the U.S. Because of this they are highly sought after and can be very expensive (compared to Easterns and Dalmatians). All are equally satisfying to keep. If you're just starting out an Eastern or Dalmatian might be a better choice simply because they are usually a bit more adaptable to varied conditions.
HermanniChris on this site keeps and breeds all of the above subspecies. I keep and breed the Easterns and Dalmatians. I'm sure there are many others here that can help you too.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
TheACO731 said:
www.lllreptile.com I have been to their store, I was so impressed with how healthy and well taken care of their animals were, I buy all my stuff from them. They ship fast too! And if you have any problems let me know and I can go to the store and follow up for you in person. They have the cheapest ceramic heaters and UV lights I've found. Whatever their price for reptiles is, pay it! It’s worth it.

I agree. If you can't find a good breeder online, LLLReptile is the place to get them from. I fortunately live next to their store here in SoCal and their shop is always clean, never smells bad, and each species is cared for as they should be. They are never kept with any other species besides their own, and are always very clean and healthy looking. Very knowledgeable staff too!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Check local tort clubs, animal shelters, Craig's List, etc as well. Especially for a first timer I suggest an older tort, but plan for some vet bills (at least a few hundred dollars for a check up, a few fecal tests in the first year, treatment for likely parasites, and maybe one other health problem on average).

tmacc0

5 Year Member
thanks everyone! i actually did talk to Chris and I am going to get an eastern from him. :)

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Would it be too cold to ship this time of year? Or since its usually next day shipping, would that be on?just curious

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Depends where it is traveling through (not as much where it is shipped from and arriving at).

Status
Not open for further replies.