where to buy established hibiscus plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
I was wondering if anyone knew online where i could buy some hibiscus plants online- that are somewhat established or large. I dont have any greenhouses around me that sell hibiscus plants. Id prefer if they were perennial also. Let me know what everyone knows.
-Joby

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
In your area, I do not believe tropical Hibiscus are perennial. Probably more like a Summer patio plant that you would have to bring inside in the fall. However, there is the hibiscus moscheutos that is perennial/hardy. You can buy them online or might be able to find those at a local greenhouse. Also, Rose of Sharon should be perennial there. It is a relative of the hibsicus.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I am surprised you are having a hard time finding them locally. Hibiscus (kind of like tortoises ;) ) have kind of a cult following in the garden community, and there are forums similar to this one dedicated to care and collection. I belong to a hibiscus club and many of the men and women in it have nationwide contacts so perhaps they could suggest somewhere local to you; if you let me know where you are located I would certainly ask them. I like Hidden Valley Hibiscus as a mail order company, but am not sure that their plants would qualify as 'established,' coming primarily in 6" pots...I think you don't see many giant mail order hibiscus simply because it would be a challenge/$$$ to ship a large bush.

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
I believe I'm a bit further north than you and I have a few trees that I managed to get from an older woman in a neighboring city in exchange for yard work. Try your local craigslist for one and if you have a home depot or lowes they may have some. You will need to get the hardy kind to have them come back year after year. The flowers on mine are not as large as the tropicals but still very nice and tasty :). Shipping a larger established tree would probably be very expensive not to mention in my opinion once it is moved like that it is no longer "established" and sensitive to changes that may end up making the shipping not worth your while. I could see if I get any off shoots from mine that will be transplantable and let you know.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
I found a website called cold stream farms offers some hibiscus plants for sale- bushes of rose of sharon. i migh just buy some hibiscus off of hidden valley hibiscus actually they seem reasonable in prices. MarcaineArt and Katherine- where are you located? i live in upstate ny.. what types of hibiscus do you have right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.