president hibiscus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
I had a question about hibiscus... I recently bought two president hibiscus plants for 20$ it was too good of a deal to pass up and there is no pesticides on them or anything so I'm not worried about my tortoises eating them, but I was wondering is all hibiscus good for them to eat ? I have a dwarf mullberry in there enclosure and I hope these hibiscus plants will be good. Let me know tortoise forum!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All hibiscus is good, they will eat leaves and flowers, the bigger tortoises may even eat the branches.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
Yeah my leopards might for sure I couldn't pass up the deal they had at lowes for them they have them all on sale

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If you want lots of flowers trim them back at the end of the year they will bush out next year and provide a lot of flowers. don't let them get tree like, it is best for flower production to trim them and let them bush out and you will have tons of flowers.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They Will Most Likely Eat Everything Of The Hibiscis!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Joby, what makes you think they don't have pesticides on them? I'm sure the people at Lowes didn't put any on them, but the nursery where they came from almost certainly did.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....I have to side with Tom in his concern about chemicals in the LOWES plants...I know that LOWES does not spray pesticides (they would have to have special certificates and trained personnel to be authorized in the state under a commercial business as well as signage to warn the public....the nursery on the other hand falls under different state regulations and are not required to disclose pesticide as well as herbicide use. Now if you know your LOWES only purchase from pesti free nursery then awesome....but I would not rely on a sales associate from LOWES to necessarily know this information first hand.....seeds rock and you will know no pesti issue...okay sorry...very passionate about this particular issue...oh yeah...check your local nurseries and I bet you will find truly a hippie or two out there who loves the planet and all of her creatures.....

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah i talked to the dept manager of the nursery at lowes and says his plants all come from a chemical free nursery, but im still skeptic about it. theres a nursery right near where i live that is pretty hardcore about their plants that i will check out also. the pesticides issue was in the back of my mind also

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It was a good deal they can get expensive depending on the place that sells them..

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
yeah but the pesticides aspect is something that worries me now, so if i can find them at a nursery down the street from me i will probably pick some up there.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
jobeanator said:
yeah but the pesticides aspect is something that worries me now, so if i can find them at a nursery down the street from me i will probably pick some up there.

We have one we bought from a nursery and waited about 3 months before we started feeding the flowers and we just got one from home depot about a month ago and it will be another 2 or so months before we feed off that one, just always better to be safe than sorry..

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
just a update... i ditched the hibiscus from lowes and i went to my local nusery to pick up pesticide free hibiscus plants, which in reality were cheaper and alot bigger. I transplanted them the other day and waiting for them to get adjusted then my tortoises will venture in to check them out!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Let tham gorw for a month or so...and any trace pesticides will definitely degrade by then...:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.