where can i get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianf40us

5 Year Member
I live in PA and was wondering where everyone gets their Cactus to feed to their Torts?

How hard are they to grow indoors?

How do you prepare them for feeding? Do you take the needles off and how do you do that?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
HI there, There are folks on this forum who sell it.You can burn the larger spines off. I also asked around and found out you can easily grow it here in Mass. Someone actually sent me some with roots and I am giving it a shot.
Look around and you'll find it. (here)
Welcome.
Nay

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have bought a few plant from a nursery and took cuttings from there to start new ones. Until they really start to produce, I get cactus from any local mexican market..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I bought a spineless cactus pad from Coastal Silkworms (they sell tort stuff too). This pad was designed to be planted.
http://www.coastalsilkworms.com/store/
Go to 'tortoise food' and scroll down to the spineless pads. I planted it 1/3 to 1/2 in well drained soil and set it on the patio, watered when dry.
It now has cactus hatchlings! Took at least a month or more.
I like not having to deal with the spines.
Might need to be kept inside in winter, not sure though.
I think this site also sells pads for tortoise food. They are on vacation until 8/1.
You can also get cactus pads from some local specialty stores, in some locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.