When to offer Cactus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laramie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all,
I am wondering, at what age should I introduce cactus to Wilbur? I am wondering if he is too young to be able to eat it. He is almost 5 months now. Thank You in advance.:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I have been feeding it to Tejas since I got him in April and he is 9 months old now.. I just chop it up real small and mix it with what ever I feed him..

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
dalano73 said:
I have been feeding it to Tejas since I got him in April and he is 9 months old now.. I just chop it up real small and mix it with what ever I feed him..
Thanks...I just was not sure if it would be too tough for him to eat.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If he eats it then give it,I don't think there is a minimum age thing for cactus.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats why I chop it up real small, makes it easier for them to eat it.

B

byerssusan

Phoenix is 2 `/2 months old and I tried giving it to her. Of course at this moment she is a picky eater. She is slowly changing though.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
byerssusan said:
Phoenix is 2 `/2 months old and I tried giving it to her. Of course at this moment she is a picky eater. She is slowly changing though.

What do you normally give her?

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Laramie I have found that mine will eat the young cactus growth but not so much the older pads. Find a small new growth pad and chop it very small, bite-size. Mine loves it that way.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
DesertGrandma said:
Laramie I have found that mine will eat the young cactus growth but not so much the older pads. Find a small new growth pad and chop it very small, bite-size. Mine loves it that way.

Thank You Joy. Where do you get your cactus?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine also like aloe vera

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
laramie said:
DesertGrandma said:

Thank You Joy. Where do you get your cactus?

I grow my own. I have an older prickly pear plant that I take new growth from, and also from a neighbor's house that has a spineless one. Also growing some new ones in pots so I will someday have more spinelesss ones for my own use. You can probably find some around your area without needing to buy them if you look around some. Neighbors are usually pretty good about letting you pick a few pads to start your own if you ask them. (If not...just go in the dark and carefully pick them, haha). They do sell them in some grocery stores too, but not sure where. One pad will last a long time in the refrigerator when only feeding one baby. :cool: Good luck Laramie.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have some Texas hatchlings. They are pretty darned small. So for them, I use tongs to hold a pad, then I peel it with a potato peeler. Then I chop it up into tiny, tiny pieces and mix it all up with the greens.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I use my handy dandy food processor! Turn it into a slimy green mess and it's gone in minutes!!! Lou gets his chopped up because he is a big boy. But the babies go crazy for it!!

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Introducing cactus to them at first, they may not eat it since they won't know what it is but once they try it.. they are sold on it ! At least that's how mine were.. and I bought my cactus online from rivenrock people.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed whole tender young pads to hatchlings. I find they have an easier time biting chunks off if I leave it whole. They can pull against the weight of the pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.