Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi,

My local reptile store is now carrying cactus pads. He gave me some as a sample and my tortoises love it.

I was wondering how often can I include NOPAL CACTUS PADS (prickly pear) in my hermann tortoise diet.

Thanks

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Not sure about hermanns, but I would give mine some cut up pads a few times a week as a treat. If you give them too much, it really makes their poop runny. :p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I've seen some prickly pear at the grocery store. How do you cut it up? Do you slice off the "skin" and feed them the inside?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
How long does it last if you put it in the refrigerator or can you freeze it?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Candy said:
How long does it last if you put it in the refrigerator or can you freeze it?

Robyn mailed me 2 pads and a prickly pear fruit (thanks! :p) that I got on Monday I think it was. I didn't refridgerate as I'm going to plant the 2 pads, but they are still green and firm with no signs of dying. So this is basically 5 days of not being in a fridge. Seems like they last quite a while.

In terms of the fruit, I did put that in the fridge and it's still good after 5 days.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Seiryu,

I bought a bunch of pads from Carolina Pet Supply & they lasted weeks not refrigerated, but still covered in the brown paper wrap it came in. Sometimes you can find them at Mexican grocery stores too ~ ;)
Enjoy,
Purpod

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Oo I didn't know Carolina Pet Supply sold them! Awesome :)
I found some at a grocery store today (they had TONS of greens and things, I'm so excited) but it wasn't very firm- kind of floppy. Is it supposed to be like that?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
ChiKat said:
Oo I didn't know Carolina Pet Supply sold them! Awesome :)
I found some at a grocery store today (they had TONS of greens and things, I'm so excited) but it wasn't very firm- kind of floppy. Is it supposed to be like that?

The ones I got from Robyn arn't floppy. But they havn't been kept "fresh", and I'm wanting them to dry callouse so I can plant.

Maybe when they are first cut off, the first few days they are floppy? Not sure on that one.

Just make sure all the stuff you're buying is organic. Most of the stores here don't have plain organic stuff. Unless you buy things like the spring mix and such in the bags/plastic boxes. None of the fresh greens you buy seperately are organic in my area. So i'm going all my own stuff :p

Purpod- Thanks, but i'm not looking to buy any :p. Was just saying I got some from Robyn to plant.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Rob thanks for pointing out the organic thing- I wasn't even thinking :(
The spring mix I buy is organic. There is a great health food store near my school so when I go back to school next week I'll have to check there. I'm pretty sure their fresh produce is all organic.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
This is a prickly pear right? http://www.datazap.net/sites/winmurray226/PricklyPear.jpg

I can feed this to Tallula a few times a week without a prob huh? I saw it in my grocery store! Will be so happy if she likes it!

Stace, yes it is. Hermy loves Prickly pears!!! He goes crazy for them :D. But I can't give him a too much because it gives him diarheoa :(, so I give him a little every month or so. If I only give him a little and not often, he is ok :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Prickly pear pads, Nopales, Spineless cactus whatever you call it, should not be wimpy or floppy. That is a pad that is not fresh. I am lucky I can get cut up cleaned cactus at my local store most days. But these don't seem to last as long. And these are so easy to grow. Actually they pretty much grow themselves. I only have to place plastic over if the temps get below 32F. Yes too much cactus or cactus fruit will case runny stools. Oh and if you have fruit that you can leave on the plant or get that is really really red they love those even more they also contain more sugars. But I like the Red ones too. :)

Rob those pads should be ready to plant now. I wouldn't wait too long they were actually picked a couple of days before I sent them so they had time to seal.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Crazy1 said:
Prickly pear pads, Nopales, Spineless cactus whatever you call it, should not be wimpy or floppy. That is a pad that is not fresh. I am lucky I can get cut up cleaned cactus at my local store most days. But these don't seem to last as long. And these are so easy to grow. Actually they pretty much grow themselves. I only have to place plastic over if the temps get below 32F. Yes too much cactus or cactus fruit will case runny stools. Oh and if you have fruit that you can leave on the plant or get that is really really red they love those even more they also contain more sugars. But I like the Red ones too. :)

Rob those pads should be ready to plant now. I wouldn't wait too long they were actually picked a couple of days before I sent them so they had time to seal.

Yes I am planting them today. Since I thought your cactus pads were the seeds for a few days I didnt take them out until recently, so where they were supposed to seal, they were still not dry yet, some gooey-ness. Today they actually seem ready. It's been pretty humid here too, which is probably why it took so long.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Peeps!

Yes, the image shown is the fruit; but what I got from the Carolina Supply was the pads. I did as Robyn noted, and planted some of those with ease. And as already noted, too, they should not be floppy at all ~

I got the fruits (already de-thorned, thankfully!!) from a local Mexican Market. There are tons of cacti growing all over So. Cal, but trying to de-thorn them myself just ended up in my hands getting pricked! lol. I was thrilled when I saw them so cheap for sale, ready to eat, at that lil' market.

Enjoy everyone ~
Purpod

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Crazy1 said:

Hi Robyn,

Who do you plant the Prickly pear pads? Can they grow indoors?

Thanks

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Crazy1 said:
Prickly pear pads, Nopales, Spineless cactus whatever you call it, should not be wimpy or floppy. That is a pad that is not fresh.

Great thanks for letting me know!! I didn't think they were fresh but I wasn't sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.