When to move my Hermann's outside

Nmshepard

Location (City and/or State)
BREMERTON
I have a hermann's tortoise that just turned six months old and about three inches long that I was curious when to move outside. I am in the PNW so it's still pretty chilly and wet however his indoor enclosure is only 2x3 and I want him to have more space. I found an 8x3 greenhouse cover I'd like to put in my raised garden bed until he's larger. The garden bed is 3x18 feet long, so in the future it will all be his. Can I take him out during the warmer times of day or will that stress him to go back and forth? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Screenshot_20210105-140013.png

Attachments

• PXL_20201225_201036953.jpg
    PXL_20201225_201036953.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please give this a read. All of this is explained in here:

I wouldn't even consider letting him live outside full time until he's at least 5-6 inches or so.

Nmshepard

BREMERTON
Thank you! It may say and I missed it but for outside time are there temps you recommend waiting for?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Wait until it warms up in the Spring, he's way too young to be outside until 'possibly' April or May. A baby like that is very good kept in the house. Even in Spring and Summer he should be brought in at night. I have bigger Sulcata and everybody is locked in at night. Make that a practice unless his outside pen and yard are 100% safe. No bigger birds flying over, no 'coons, skunks foxes and we are now getting Cougars. I'm in Corvallis Oregon. Here's one of my pens a couple of days ago
100_6152.JPG100_6151.JPG

Nmshepard

BREMERTON
Oh wow! Thank you. I have bought a bunch of seeds to grow a variety of weeds in his space. It will be good to get those started under the greenhouse before he tramples them all.

Nmshepard

BREMERTON
Since it will be awhile before he moves outside, will his current 2x3 enclosure work until then? He's been getting more and more active. I don't want him cramped.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Since it will be awhile before he moves outside, will his current 2x3 enclosure work until then? He's been getting more and more active. I don't want him cramped.
Short answer. No.

Longer answer. Read the thread @Tom linked to. It explains what your tortoise needs

Nmshepard

BREMERTON
Short answer. No.

Longer answer. Read the thread @Tom linked to. It explains what your tortoise needs

So the attachment is super helpful, however it lists enclosure sizes for babies and adults. I know Tortellini will need to upgrade, but I can't manage 4x8 indoors. I guess I'm struggling with this in between stage and what he needs. He's too little for outside, too big for the grow tent he's in, and that was an upgrade from the 50 gallon bin originally used as it wouldn't stay humid enough. I was planning a second story in the grow tent, would that be enough extra room? I just want to do the best I can to help him grow strong. Thank you everyone.