When do you take them out of incubator

Susan cunningham

Location (City and/or State)
Mirfield west yorkshire
If any of my 5 hermans torts that are currently in my incubator start to pip , at what stage do you take them out I have read different tales and want to do the right thing , do I leave them in the tub in the vermiculite or do I get them out and put them in their new enclosure , thanks every one for your help and advice it's my first lot of eggs and I'm so excited ,it could be any day now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
do I leave them in the tub in the vermiculite or do I get them out and put them in their new enclosure...

Neither. As soon as they step out of their egg, you should move them to a brooder box as an intermediate step between the incubator and their new enclosure. The brooder box allows them time to absorb their yolk sac and close up the umbilical scar in a "clean" environment. It also allows you to introduce them to a wide variety of foods early on.

Read more here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
I typed this up for sulcatas, but most of it applies directly to your species too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If any of my 5 hermans torts that are currently in my incubator start to pip , at what stage do you take them out...

I wait until they step out of their egg under their own power. This can happen 2 hours after pipping, or sometimes two days.

When they begin to pip, I add a little more water to the incubation substrate to increase humidity and help them get out. I do not wet the eggs or babies directly.

Susan cunningham

Mirfield west yorkshire
Hi tom I'm so great full for your reply it's much clearer now , one of my eggs has changed colour this last couple of days ,the last time I candled it you could clearly see a bright arange blob at one end of the egg ,this morning I took a look and it the egg is getting quite dark now at the bottom and there is no sign of the yolk sack , is that normal for them to change this colour today they will be 99 days in the incubator , thanks again for your help . sue

Susan cunningham

Mirfield west yorkshire
Today my eggs are 99 days old, a couple of days ago I noticed a small bright orange blob at the end of the egg. Today when I candeled them I noticed the orange blob had gone. And now they have changed colour and are now dark. Will they still hatch??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Today my eggs are 99 days old, a couple of days ago I noticed a small bright orange blob at the end of the egg. Today when I candeled them I noticed the orange blob had gone. And now they have changed colour and are now dark. Will they still hatch??

Probably. Maybe. Just have to wait and see.

What temp are you incubating them at?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Neither. As soon as they step out of their egg, you should move them to a brooder box as an intermediate step between the incubator and their new enclosure. The brooder box allows them time to absorb their yolk sac and close up the umbilical scar in a "clean" environment. It also allows you to introduce them to a wide variety of foods early on.

Read more here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
I typed this up for sulcatas, but most of it applies directly to your species too.

Much like what sometimes might be thought of as "common" wisdom which is not so common at all, you have written a well articulated narrative. Good Job Pinkie.

Susan cunningham

Mirfield west yorkshire
I have kept humidity at 70 not sure what you mean about media ! It did drop whilst I was away for a week but as soon a so got home I got it back up again , the colour is changing now two of them have gone dark I will try take a photo and send , thanks again for your advice to