Wheezing?!

Nate32

Location (City and/or State)
Cheltenham
Hi, first time posting here - but just wanted to see if anyone might have some advice. Our marginated tort Herb has been what appears to be wheezing for about 6-8 weeks now. She doesn't seem out of the ordinary and is eating and moving around a normal amount. Considering we live in Gloucestershire UK - she spends most of her time in a 4x2ft viv with a UV strip which is set to roughly 36 degrees celcius at the warm end. She's fed mostly organic leafy greens from the local market and weeds from the garden (I don't use any pesticides out there) and her water/food is refreshed daily. I also sprinkle Nutrobal on her food every few days. We have put her out on an enclosed area of the lawn when the temperature outside gets above 23 degrees and the sun is out, - but unfortunately there haven't been many days like that so far this year. Shes 4 and half years old and weighs just over 1kg. Hopefully that provides enough info on her diet/environment etc? She's running around on the floor next to me now and I can hear a faint wheezing from where I'm sitting. It's starting to become a bit concerning. Can anyone help with what might be causing it and what I could do to help her? I've been misting her viv every few days in case it's getting too dry in there, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Many thanks,
-Nate

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you add pictures. For your temperatures are you using an Infrared Digital Thermometer to get an exact temperature at tortoise height? What substrate are you using?

Nate32

Cheltenham
Hi, thanks for the reply. No I don't have an infared digital thermometer, I use a standard digital thermometer with one sensor under the heat bulb and the other at the cool end. The substrate I use is sterilized top soil and then I add hemp bedding in her hide. was it the vivarium that you wanted a photo of?

cheers,
Nate

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yes, the vivarium. Also have you seen any discharge from her nose? The wheezing could be breathing sounds or her inhaling to smell the new area. BTW torts on floors are not a good mix. The floor even in a warm room is often cooler and has many hazards- lost earrings, coins, etc small bits that fit in her mouth. Oh when you say sterilized you mean like over 30 minutes at 121°C (250°F) . Did you use your oven? My wife would kill me and she doesn't even cook. I use cypress mulch at 3" (7.62c) deep and cover completely with fir bark, since I live on the east coast in the US and the gold standard Fir Bark is like $80 a bag compared to $4 a bug for Cypress.

Nate32

Cheltenham
Hope that shows the vivarium set up OK? No I haven't seen any discharge from her and she's eating normal and acting normal. We have been putting her out in the garden on some sunny days - but really it hasn't got much hotter than about 23 Celsius here so far this summer. The thermometer reading in the sun is a lot warmer though. Do you think it could be the temperature shift from her viv to the outdoor temperature that could have something to do with it? I haven't heard of Cyprus mulch, - I use hemp fibre. The topsoil I use comes pre-sterilized in a bag. I don't think my other half would be too impressed either if I tried baking soil in the oven!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hope that shows the vivarium set up OK? No I haven't seen any discharge from her and she's eating normal and acting normal. We have been putting her out in the garden on some sunny days - but really it hasn't got much hotter than about 23 Celsius here so far this summer. The thermometer reading in the sun is a lot warmer though. Do you think it could be the temperature shift from her viv to the outdoor temperature that could have something to do with it? I haven't heard of Cyprus mulch, - I use hemp fibre. The topsoil I use comes pre-sterilized in a bag. I don't think my other half would be too impressed either if I tried baking soil in the oven!

Greetings. Just following along here. Just by the looks, I wonder if your substrate is just too dry? It looks it, maybe the dusty environment is creating some breathing issues. I really doubt you will find cypress mulch there in your DIY garden centers. You probably want to visit a proper garden centre and look for medium grade orchid bark mix.
Instead of misting, pour some warm water inside & mix about a bit. Better yet, hopefully u can find the orchid bark. You will want to thoroughly saturate the bark pieces in a pail before adding to your viv.

If you do go looking for orchid bark, you want the actual bark, not the “mix“. Orchid mix has all kinds of other things mixed in that you don’t want. Heres an example of what to search for - https://www.orchidsupply.com/shop/potting-mixes/orchid-bark-mixes/orchiata-orchid-bark/

I’m surprised that it hasn't been very warm there in Cheltenham. I see lots of UK-based gardens & flowers & hikers enjoying the warm, sunny UK Summer. But, it is what it is.

PS - yes, could be caused & exacerbated by the temp shifts from inside to outside to inside.

Anyhow, just some random observations. Good luck.

Nate32

Cheltenham
Hey there, thanks for your suggestions. You're right it could be that I'm not wetting the viv enough. I did read somewhere that Mediterranean torts aren't supposed to have too much humidity though, am I wrong there? I'll definitely have a look for some of that orchid bark. Someone did suggest that the hemp fibre bedding I'm using could potentially be contracting some sort of spores that might be irritating her lungs ..although I was under the impression that hemp was hypoallergenic and pretty safe in general.

Cheltenham is a very green and pleasant land this time of year, but it does struggle to get past 23 Celsius air temperature at the moment. I guess all the rain we have and mild temperatures are a perfect mix for things to grow ..but not so great for torts. I know a local enthusiast who owns about a dozen torts and insists on keeping them outside unless a thunderstorm rolls in or the temperature drops to the point that you need a sweater. Is it best to keep them outside during the summer as much as possible even if the temperature dwindles around the low 20's?

Suey

England
Hi there I’m in uk too. Just sat down for a coffee and thought I’d have a look to see what’s going on ? read that you didn’t know about cypress mulch well I use it and love it for my two Russians. I get it of Amazon and it’s called forest floor, hope this helps .