Please Help!(R.I.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
They are going to figure out what made her wheeze and what made the goo come out of her nose. If it is an illness, they'll treat it. But, if it isn't, then they'll call me to come pick her up again.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi Chinque. I've been worried about Rosie too. That wheezing is a bad sign. I hope they give her some medicine because if she has an infection, she can get pneumonia. Too bad she got sick, Keep us posted on her progress.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Rosie may take a few weeks to recover, so be prepared to be separated from her a few weeks, may be shorter may be longer. I brought a tortoise home from work with a respiratory infection, took two weeks to recover, and I ended up buying it. Giving oral medication to a tortoise is not fun or easy, so at least they have more experience administering medication to reptiles. I would spend that time getting her enclosure perfect. Did you decide on a tub yet?

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh, not yet... I've been pretty busy with Rosie lately. But, I was thinking of getting a concrete mixing tub, because the sides are sturdier. I'm also pretty busy trying to find a place to build an outdoor enclosure where the dogs won't be able to get to her... I miss Rosie...

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I gave her back to the Vivarium. I didn't think I have the experience to take care of a sick tortoise. I got a Russian hatchling today, because the guy there gave me credits to there to get a new tortoise. So, I picked the last Russian hatchling they had. I love it... But I still miss Rosie... A lot...😢😢

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Im glad you did what you felt was right. Its not easy taking care of a sick tort. Make sure you clean everything before you put your new tort into roses old. Enclosure. Dont forget she was sick...

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I know that she had a respiratory infection, but I don't think that those are contagious among animals. But, I did put in some new substrate for the new tortoise.

I am also in the process of building an outdoor enclosure so my little guy or gal can have some fun outside this summer!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes, they are contagious. Im glad you changed the substrate. I hope that there is no other live infection remaining.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
What should I do, then? Any advice? She seems healthy...

By healthy, I mean that she is eating and walking around.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What's done is done. Colds are very infectious. I would use a sanitizer to clean the entire surface of the enclosure while you have your baby soaking. You may have to swap out the substrate again. Sanitize all bowls, dish, or other things you have placed in the enclosure. Perhaps, this will limit any exposure to living germs. Keep her warm and humid for now. After two weeks, if your baby dorsn show any signs of sickness, you may be out of the woods. Best to you and your little one.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
She does not have Rosie
anymore. She gave her back
and got one that was not sick.
She has posted a new thread
about her new one. Just wanted
everyone to know. :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
luvpetz27 said:
She does not have Rosie
Understand, but she said she only changed substrate out after Rosie. I am concerned with the new one, since she did not sanitize. And I told her I was not sure if it would matter or not. Go back and read the last few threads.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
mainey34 said:
luvpetz27 said:
She does not have Rosie
Understand, but she said she only changed substrate out after Rosie. I am concerned with the new one, since she did not sanitize. And I told her I was not sure if it would matter or not. Go back and read the last few threads.

I just read them. Sorry mainey34 :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
luvpetz27 said:
mainey34 said:
luvpetz27 said:
She does not have Rosie

I just read them. Sorry mainey34 :)
No, its fine...im just concerned. She just went thru this with Rosie. I dont want it to happen to her again. Thats all.. just looking out for her...

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks for looking out for me, guys!! I figured out that the "wheezing" was just her hissing at me, because she isn't used to people picking her up yet. I'm working on building an outdoor enclosure this weekend so by the time it starts to heat up, shell have somewhere to play! I'm thinking of boiling the stuff for a couple of seconds to kill the bacteria... Any tips?

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
The East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley, California has an excellent reputation. There would be nothing wrong with returning the tortoise to them. They would not let it die, as they have veterinarians at their disposal. Why would you make this member feel guilty for returning a defective product to the seller? If it were any other defective product there would be no hesitation in returning it. Chinque is a brand new member here with hardly any experience taking care of tortoises. To make this member feel guilty about returning the tortoise is to put quite a strain on them for caring for a sick tortoise that they have no experience doing. In my opinion, the best thing for Chinque and for the tortoise is to return it to the East Bay Vivarium.
i agree.. If there is a health guarantee, use it. Mistakes happen to everyone when they are getting into something new.. Maybe their vets will help you as well.. Unfortunately sometimes animals are sick before we ever fall head over heals for them... good luck, get the lil guy heated up. be weary of cold drafts... If you have any questions this is the right place to be..:tort:

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh, mtdavis254817, thanks for the advice... But, I already used the health guarantee and returned Rosie, where they'll take good care of her. I did get a new tortoise, though!

turtle_nanny

5 Year Member
murrieta,ca
I am thinking my turtle might have the beginning of a upper respiratory infection, no snot or wheezing. just lack of interest in food and sleeps alot. I called my vet and she mentioned that, waddles might have a URI, if she can't smell than she won't eat. if that is the case, is there anything I can do to prevent this infection from getting worse??? i've been reading and most posts are saying she needs more heat.

waddles is 2.5 to 3 lbs 8x7 in size. maybe 2 or 3 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.