Wheezing? Resp. inf.?

KenzieBreezy16

Hey guys,
I really need some feed back and help
I have had my herman tortoise 2 years from today actually and recently he has had some problems with his breathing.
I have read lots of stuff about respiratory infections and they don't seem to add up to what he has.
He wheezes sometimes when he is picked up, and sometimes randomly when he is just sitting there but not all the time and I never hear it when he sleeps. He is very very active, eats a lot, no watery eyes and no runny noes!
I do not want to start giving him antibiotics for a respiratory infection if he shows no other symptoms!
I am very confused why he wheezes and it makes me wonder if it has something to do with what I am doing because I would love to fix whatever that is !

I keep him humidity at 55 %.
Temp in basking area is about 88-91
he has a big bowl of water to soak in
I soak him about once a week.

Any ideas what is going on ??

As well if anyone has any suggestions on what kind of wood to use so I can make him a bigger home that would be awesome :)

Attachments

• Photo on 2015-10-24 at 9.09 PM #3.jpg
    Photo on 2015-10-24 at 9.09 PM #3.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 25

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

I'll start by asking you to read the following as they will answer most of your questions.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Your temperatures are too low and that could trigger a respiratory problem. Your tort needs 95-100F directly under the basking lamp. I will post separately about heat and light.

It is normal for a tort to 'huff' when is pulls its head in. The shell can't expand, so it has to exhale.

If you post picture of your enclosure and lighting it will help us to help you. :)

Maria Ohlson

Sweden
What substrate to tou use? Some substrates can irritate the respiratory system.
Wheezing when you pick them up is their way of sayning that they dont like to be picked up.
I have built my indoorpens by using plywood that I have painted with a special colour that can stand humidity.

Attachments

• DSC_0887.JPG
    DSC_0887.JPG
    928.1 KB · Views: 19

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
About the wood.....Are you going to be making an outside wooden enclosure or an inside enclosure that needs to look more like furniture?;)
With an outside enclosure you can use any pressure treated lumber and you have many options.
For inside, you may want some smoother wood and plywood that you can seal. Maybe paint.

KenzieBreezy16

I am using Repti bark and eco earth substrate. Both from the pet store.
I am building it in doors !
Do you guys think I need to be concerned for a respiratory infection if he is showing no other signs!?
I Know He needs a bigger home I just need the right supplies to make it ! I did not want to use wood that was bad for them !

Thanks for all the Help already !

Attachments

• Photo on 2016-10-27 at 10.56 AM.jpg
    Photo on 2016-10-27 at 10.56 AM.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

KenzieBreezy16

Hello and welcome to TFO

I'll start by asking you to read the following as they will answer most of your questions.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Your temperatures are too low and that could trigger a respiratory problem. Your tort needs 95-100F directly under the basking lamp. I will post separately about heat and light.

It is normal for a tort to 'huff' when is pulls its head in. The shell can't expand, so it has to exhale.

If you post picture of your enclosure and lighting it will help us to help you. :)

I am so new to this !
I am unsure if I have to reply individually or can you see my comment when I make one below to everyone !

KenzieBreezy16

Okay nice :)
Does anyone have a suggestion what I should change his flooring to?!
I feel he could be getting irritated from that !?

von345

I use cypress mulch and my Herman loves it. I spray his tortiose table down at night and it seems to hold the humidity really well. You can also mix it with top soil and that holds humidity

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you are misconstruing the air pushed out of the lungs when picked up or startled with 'wheezing.' All tortoises push out air when startled and it sounds like they're hissing at you. Unless you see open mouth gasping or bubbly nose, your tortoise is probably not sick.

I like orchid bark.

orchid bark a.jpg orchid bark c.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm if belated welcome to Tortoise Forum.:)
Happy birthday and i hope the little fellow is okay.