Wheat Grass Sprouts

waretrop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE Pa. Zone 5
I have read allot about alphalfa sprouts and some other sprouts being fed to Sullies. I am in the process of sprouting wheat grass seeds for Alice. I had planned on growing it out, in my greenhouse. My question is, can I sprinkle the sprouted seeds right on her regular food instead of the actual grass? I would grow grass also but this may be a different thing to feed her and I love feeding her things. LOL

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Not sure, but I think the seeds will just go through her. I know after feeding pumpkin or squash I end up with a plant or two later, somewhere in the enclosure.

Prairie Mom

Mine has had plenty of seeds attached to the grass.

Wheat grass really doesn't need to be grown in a greenhouse. It grows so quickly. Full grown in less than two weeks. I've grown it on poorly lit windowsills and even in dark cabinets where the cats can't get to it.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Alice eats about 3 large shoe boxes packed full every day. I would keep feeding her other things along with wheat grass but I would have to grow allot of trays of the grass every few days to keep it going over long term. That's why I was asking about just serving her the sprouts sprinkled all over her regular food. The sprouts are a quicker turnaround. I just wanted to know about the nutrition and safety. Sometimes seeds are not good to eat, even though the greens are good to eat, you know???

Prairie Mom

Alice eats about 3 large shoe boxes packed full every day. I would keep feeding her other things along with wheat grass but I would have to grow allot of trays of the grass every few days to keep it going over long term. That's why I was asking about just serving her the sprouts sprinkled all over her regular food. The sprouts are a quicker turnaround. I just wanted to know about the nutrition and safety. Sometimes seeds are not good to eat, even though the greens are good to eat, you know???
Gotcha.

The seeds are fine. Nutritionally wheat grass is somewhat high in protein and have next to no calcium. I grow them regularly for my tortoise during the winter for the same exact reason you are FAST TURNAROUND. They're super tasty and good fiber.

If you're looking for a few ideas...
I've also grown regular grass seed in trays that I clip off and give to my tortoise when they are ready. It might be nice to have some to mix in every so often this winter. I also heartily endorse growing squash and pumpkin indoors for tortoises. Super easy and a big pay off.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
So I went out and bought 50 pounds of wheat seed. If I can grow some so she will get the greens and also give her some of the sprouts, that would be great. I will also grow some regular grass seed. I was hesitant on pumpkin for I thought she could get diarrhea from it... not sure...

I love adding new foods to Alice's platter. She eats everything that I put on it everyday....

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Here is one cup of wheat seeds after soaking for 3 days. I will sprinkle a very little bit on her mound of food in the morning then let the rest grow out. If it is acceptable to Alice I will start a now batch.wheat grass sprouts1.jpg

Prairie Mom

I was hesitant on pumpkin for I thought she could get diarrhea from it... not sure...QUOTE]
I haven't heard of anyone's tortoise having problems eating squash and pumpkin vines. My understanding is that they're a great food source. Mine does really well with them.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
wheat grass.jpg
Well, My wheat seeds are now 4 days old. I don't think this is going to work for Alice. I gave her a little pinch the other day but at this growth rate she won't get enough fresh grass to help her..Even if I started 8 trays it wouldn't be enough. I will save the seeds and grow a large spot out in the yard next spring and shrink wrap them as I cut it during the summer.

Prairie Mom

I'm not sure you should give up so quickly. In a few more days they'll be big blades of grass that tortoises think are delicious. I'm sure Alice will still appreciate getting this a couple times a week during the winter.

Thanks for posting this. I never thought of just putting them in a pan of water. I always grew them in coir or soil in a pot or tray. I'm going to try it your way this winter.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
The only thing is that you have to watch out for mold. I soaked my seeds in a large bowl for a few days covering with Seran Wrap and rinsed them about 3 times each day. When I put them in a Pyrex dish I gently rinsed them the same way and kept covered until the blades got to tall. They try to wash away in a bit more doing it in the tray.

After your words of encouragement I will reconsider my plans. I think I will start a few more trays about 5 days apart. I could keep them out in the greenhouse. It's full of garden plants but I am sure I can find some spots for them. I also can put them in trays with overflow holes in them so the automatic watering system will do it's job.0723141409a.jpg

inside greenhouse.jpg

See the top shelves? There are 2 of them. I would have to climb a ladder but I surely could put some up there. I think I will do that over this weekend.

Prairie Mom, Just worried about using coir but now that I think about it would that add fiber to someones diet if they get a little of it?? LOL

Prairie Mom

The only thing is that you have to watch out for mold. I soaked my seeds in a large bowl for a few days covering with Seran Wrap and rinsed them about 3 times each day. When I put them in a Pyrex dish I gently rinsed them the same way and kept covered until the blades got to tall. They try to wash away in a bit more doing it in the tray.

After your words of encouragement I will reconsider my plans. I think I will start a few more trays about 5 days apart. I could keep them out in the greenhouse. It's full of garden plants but I am sure I can find some spots for them. I also can put them in trays with overflow holes in them so the automatic watering system will do it's job.View attachment 153985

View attachment 153987

See the top shelves? There are 2 of them. I would have to climb a ladder but I surely could put some up there. I think I will do that over this weekend.

Prairie Mom, Just worried about using coir but now that I think about it would that add fiber to someones diet if they get a little of it?? LOL
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!! This is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! I'm drooling!:D Will you please post some photos in the Garden Chat thread?? I'd love a photo-tour and always love it when people can make that thread pretty:D

Prairie Mom

The only thing is that you have to watch out for mold.
Now that you mention it, I've struggled with these molding a bit in my pots too. I thought I was just overwatering, but maybe these mold easier than other seeds. The good thing about growing them in soil is that the blades stand up and you can just clip and feed your tortoise. In the past, I've always just scraped off the top layer of fuzzy seeds and started the next batch. It may not be the most desirable method, but it gets food to my tortoise during the winter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 153952
Well, My wheat seeds are now 4 days old. I don't think this is going to work for Alice. I gave her a little pinch the other day but at this growth rate she won't get enough fresh grass to help her..Even if I started 8 trays it wouldn't be enough. I will save the seeds and grow a large spot out in the yard next spring and shrink wrap them as I cut it during the summer.

Leave them growing and just trim off a couple inches with the scissors.

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Prairie Mom Molds are not good for animals. A little is ok. It happens from not having good water flow. It can happen in soil or coir. It's not having good drainage that causes it.

Yvonne G I see this but my grass is growing very thinly. Won't make much of a meal for a 25 pounder....sully. But maybe I can fix my problem this weekend.

Prairie Mom

Prairie Mom Molds are not good for animals. A little is ok. It happens from not having good water flow. It can happen in soil or coir. It's not having good drainage that causes it.
I meant that I scrape off the top layer of SOIL that contains the remaining fuzzed seed shells rather than throwing away the entire pot of soil when this happens. Don't worry, I'm not feeding my torty-baby mold:) Thank you for the warning though! And you're right poor drainage can certainly add to the problem. Thanks

waretrop

5 Year Member
NE Pa. Zone 5
Yes when I am away for the day I pick out the fuzzy molds....I have always heard that mold can kill a horse....Whoa!!!!!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I saw this thread, thought I'd add a note...

If you mix like a teaspoon of baking soda in a 16 oz spray bottle of water to wet the grass, it will keep the mold at bay. Just rinse the grass with fresh water before feeding.