I don't understand... (a grass question)

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
When I was learning pasture management for my three cows I read that the older grass turns to cellulose and is unpalatable. When I mentioned this on the Forum many, many years ago, Ed Pirog shot me down saying ALL grass is cellulose. So I don't know what the cattle article meant by that statement, but I do know that taller, older grass is not as tasty as the younger shoots.
I did learn from biology that in the seeds of most plants store a high amount of sucrose which would be used for their growth, since they can't carry out photosynthesis yet when they're still seeds. Maybe this has something to do with that?

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
For little ones, the tender young chutes are much easier to bite, swallow and digest.

My older tortoises do the same as Yvonne's but then they get hungry and mow down everything green in sight. And some yellowish dried out stuff too!
I see. I guess it's because the plant tissue are just developed.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
I did learn from biology that in the seeds of most plants store a high amount of sucrose which would be used for their growth, since they can't carry out photosynthesis yet when they're still seeds. Maybe this has something to do with that?

Yes young grass taste sweeter old grass taste more bitter, trust me I tried it lol

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
When my sully grazed when it was young. He passed on the grass and ate other weeds. Opo will be 2 in June and this spring finally started eating grass. Yours will figure it out.
I always cut wheatgrass on his food. Decided to lay the small clay pot on its side to see if Opo would eat it.Nope sniffed it and kept walking.
With a young tort I would always supervise the outdoor time. Hawks and other critters plus your tort can disappear in a flash. You get sidetracked for 5 minutes and you will be surprised how far they have walked.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
When my sully grazed when it was young. He passed on the grass and ate other weeds. Opo will be 2 in June and this spring finally started eating grass. Yours will figure it out.
I always cut wheatgrass on his food. Decided to lay the small clay pot on its side to see if Opo would eat it.Nope sniffed it and kept walking.
With a young tort I would always supervise the outdoor time. Hawks and other critters plus your tort can disappear in a flash. You get sidetracked for 5 minutes and you will be surprised how far they have walked.
I'm glad that Lucky actually like the taste of the grass. It's just that it doesn't recognise the grass growing around it as food.

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina
I’m beginning to wonder if sometimes these tortoises just want to be pampered bc sometimes torque wants to be independent and eat all on his own and then sometimes he wants absolutely nothing to with the food unless I’m hand feeding him...they can be lazy, independent little things at times lol

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I’m beginning to wonder if sometimes these tortoises just want to be pampered bc sometimes torque wants to be independent and eat all on his own and then sometimes he wants absolutely nothing to with the food unless I’m hand feeding him...they can be lazy, independent little things at times lol
Yeah agreed. Sometimes I put the wheat grass on its food bowl and it just ignore it. But when I picke it up and just hold it midair, Lucky just comes over, sniffs the grass and rats it whole, or I pick Lucky up and place it right in front of the food bowl then it'll start eating. Sometimes, I don't have to do anything and it'll start eating on its own. Why does it do that XD?

Jenna kamenski

South Carolina
Yeah agreed. Sometimes I put the wheat grass on its food bowl and it just ignore it. But when I picke it up and just hold it midair, Lucky just comes over, sniffs the grass and rats it whole, or I pick Lucky up and place it right in front of the food bowl then it'll start eating. Sometimes, I don't have to do anything and it'll start eating on its own. Why does it do that XD?
It’s hard to tell why...torque does the same exact thing - they definitely have a mind of their own