Whats your worst bug bite experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
worse thing for me was when I was young kid, reading a book in my bedroom. Mom called me for something and I shifted - and had the worse pain behind my ear... when they calmed me down and checked things out, the screen for the window was open and there was a yellow jacket in the room. To this day I have a huge dislike for bugs that sting...

I hope you're feeling better and that your leg improves and continues to do so.

Missy ~ I'm sorry for your experience. It is never easy, especially with the little ones. I've had too many experiences like this when I was put in the ER. I'm thankful I work in adult ICU, and only in passing, with the babies. God bless us all in this field.

teri

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
I was a young girl, living out in rural Nevada w/ my family.. we had just watched the Star Trek movie, "Wrath of Khan". That same night when I went to bed, I was horrified to have a strange sound and feeling right in my ear! Having just watched the horrible earwig, torture scene-- I was inconsolable as I went to my parents, telling them that I was afflicted with 'the wrath of Khan'!

An ear rinse was done the next day at the Dr's and it turned out to be a little gnat that somehow had gotten into in my ear canal. Talk about bad timing :( My imagination plus the recent movie scenes made this my own 'Khan' torture scene! My family kids me about the whole episode to this day... :) Hope you get feeling better!

M

Maggie Cummings

Back in the day my husband and kids and I were driving from Santa Cruz Calif to Bend Oregon. It was hot and before air conditioning in the car and as we were driving past Shasta we decided to swim so pulled off the the parking area. As we got out of the car we heard a low humming and as we ran to the water the yellow jackets climbed up our Levi's and we all got stung horribly. I had over 30 stings alone. But like Yvonne says the itching is worse then the stings and Kyle Busch won all 3 races this week end, and totally got boo'ed again. I am glad he's doing so well and I like his way of driving, almost like D Earnhardt Sr. Last night using a maneuver called the "Earnhardt" he bump drafted Brad Koswalewski and wrecked him and won the race. The difference is Sr Earnhardt wouldn't have wrecked Brad, just bumped him out of the way. Get well quick Cory and keep us posted...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
before air conditioning? I did not think that was possible?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
the scariest thing was when I was living in northern KY and going to school in cincinnati.. I was driving north on the freeway and felt something along my inner thigh. I had a face towel in the car and took it and grabbed whatever it was that was crawling on my leg. when I could risk looking, all I saw was a 2" stinger kind of thing waving around. freaky - freaked me out. I stopped at the closest pony keg and shook the towel in the parking lot. It was a wasp kind of critter with the longest stinger-looking thing I've ever seen. I looked it up later and found it was some sort of ovipositor - used for laying eggs.. fairly safe, but with my intense dislike of these critters, freaky.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
today is day 3. they say i might have MSRA. they have cut open a blood blister that formed and took 2 culture samples. they are changing up the antibotics because it appears the infection is resistant to them. i got an MRI today to see if the infection has moved into the bone or is just localized in the tissues. that is all for now. thanks everyone for the well wishes!!! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't want to scare anyone but isn't there a antibiotic resistant bug going around? MAybe have them look into that in my experience the drug resisant ones tend to be ID'ed to late.

VICtort

5 Year Member
I have had two, herp related. I was digging in a tortoise enclosure and I hit an old gopher (the mammal) burrow that was connected to a very active and agressive colony of yellow jackets some 20 ft away. They came after me, stung me a dozen times, some were under my shirt, and I hurled myself into the koi pond, which helped stop the attack.

The other was indoors, and I was watching a movie in dim light...but without my glasses. I see a 3/4I" bug moving across the carpet, which I misidentify in the dim llight as an escaped lizard food cricket... I dive on it, and let out a yell when what turns out to be an Assassin Bug injects my thumb with venom. I must have brought it into the house along with wood for the stove... My thumb swelled, and throbbed, putting it in ice water dulled the pain. For about 1/2 an hour, it was surprisingly intense...it itched afterward. Assasin bugs are a mixed blessing, they eat pest bugs in your garden but you don't want to grab one...Vic

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
I don't want to scare anyone but isn't there a antibiotic resistant bug going around? MAybe have them look into that in my experience the drug resisant ones tend to be ID'ed to late.

do u have any more information about this?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
My sister got bit by something last summer. She doesn't know what bit her but one day she noticed she had a dime-sized painful bump on the heel of her foot- she could barely walk on it.
She waited a few days for it to go down, but it didn't so she ended up going to the foot doctor.
He said that if she had waited another day to get it checked out she would have been in the hospital with blood poisoning!! The doctor gave her topical ointment and different kinds of antibiotics.
The same thing happened to her this summer- luckily she knew at the first sign of the bump that she had to get antibiotics.
I live in Illinois too and there are no dangerous spiders or other creepy crawlies. She must just be allergic to whatever it is that bit her.

The worst that has ever happened to me is when I stepped on a bee- it stung my foot and my foot swelled up sooo big! I couldn't even wear my shoe for a day or two.

terryo said:
Cory...the only experience I've had with a bug of any kind (besides getting stung by a bee...ouch!) is....one night I was all alone watching TV and the biggest bug I ever saw ran across the screen. I was reading a book at the time, and threw it up in the air..ran out of the room and called my son to come over as fast as he could. I closed the door to my room until he got here, so the bug couldn't get out. He came over and searched my room for two hours....moving all the furniture. Then he called my other son, who came over with construction masks, and some kind of bug spray, and the two of them kept searching and spraying bug spray all over my room. While this was going on, my friend called to ask if I had watched Gray's Anatomy, and I said I was watching a little of it, but was reading a book at the same time because it was a repeat. Then I told her about the biggest bug I had ever seen, and that my two sons were here moving all the furniture looking for it. She then told me....laughing through her tears....that it was a commercial for an exterminator. It took me about 10 min. to get up enough nerve to go tell my sons what my friend told me. I had to sleep in the guest room while my room was airing out. True story. My kids will never let me live that one down.:p
Hope your feeling better reallllllll soon! Hugs!!

hahahahaha that is an awesome story!!!!!

Get better soon Cory!!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
here are 3 links
http://www.cnbc.com/id/38677723
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,599389,00.html
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...n-methicillin-resistant-staphylococcus-aureus
Good news for spike is it seems to be mainy for travelers from india

Follow up question is anyone taking care of your torts while you are laid up?

thx 4 the links. ill check them out.

Tom and my mom are caring for my torts. Tom is doing a great job and is a great friend to have. he is so awesome!! :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
OH---I'm sorry to hear about your bug bite. That sounds awful. Wishing you a speedy recovery~
My worst is ants in my bed..just not pleasant to wake up w/something biting your face in a middle of a night.
I have sat on a dying bee once in 5th grade at a community pool and the worst part was not the pain from the sting but my overly protective dad with good intention jumping to my aid, grabbing my thigh and sucking the life out of me...he thought it was poisonous...Can you imagine? I was mortified and embarrassed beyond belief.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
spikethebest said:
dmmj said:

do u have any more information about this?

MRSA is Methicillin Resistant Staph A. there are a few resistant bugs that plag the hospitals. VRE - vancomycin resistant enterococcus is another.....

any time we use the shotgun method of trying to stamp out infections, we risk creating superbugs..

I hope you have a good recovery.

teri

Status
Not open for further replies.