Whats your worst bug bite experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I am living right now my worst experience.

Monday afternoon I noticed some pain in my foot, and thought nothing of it. Tuesday morning, I woke up with a swollen right food, very bright red and purple, and in lots of pain. I go to a doctor, and they give me a shot of antibotics and a cream and send me home. The next day (wednesday) my foot is even worst and go to a different doctor. this doctor gives me another shot, sliced my bug bit open, no puss comes out, and just squeezes it so blood drains down the side of my foot for awhile. they give me some Vicodin and Augmentin and tell me to come back the next day. Thursday I go back to the same doctor, and he got a 2nd opinion, and they both agree it doesnt look good and the antibotics should of worked. so they tell me to go to the ER. I drove with my left foot to the ER, got x-rays (to check if the infection as spread to my bones), 7 vials of blood drawn (to determine what type of infection I have), lots of morphaine and IV antibotics. the ER doc says they have to admit me and observe if these new antibotics work out.

So i write this in the room of the hospital (Providence Holy Cross of Mission Hills, California room 308), walking the WPT (world poker tournment) and eat some pizza that my roommate brought. I have been told that at 4am they will put another IV drip into me. wippie for me!!

This couldn't of happened at a worst time. I have gotten 20+ Mazuri orders to ship out. I have missed 4 days of work. I can't attend my US Army weekend drill, I can't practice for my flight exam to finish my commerical pilot license, and yea I dont enjoy being in a hospital alone at night (my first time).

So I am just wandering now.... i hope I get some entertaining replies to respond to this late at night. I am not tired at all.

thanks for reading.... :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear but my worst insect bite expeirence has been ants (black), and they only bite hard, but do no real damage. to date I have never been bitten by spiders (at least I have never seen a bite), millipedes, nor stung by bees hornets scorpion nor the like. I hope you feel better soon.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I was bitten by a brown recluse back in 2006. I was watching the Lakers-Suns playoffs (I believe it was game 4...the last game the Lakers won), and I was sitting in the dark wearing nothing but gym shorts and I felt something tickling my inner thigh...when I went to scratch...BLAMMO! It was like having a red hot rabies needle jammed into my leg...I smashed the spider and that's that! I thought originally that it was a male black widow...because it was brown...but I wasn't certain that they were venomous. Then I remembered a friend of mine telling me that he found a brown recluse in his garage...I matched it to a google photo...identical! That was it I thought! So I went to the emergency room (Thank God for City benefits), they measured the infected area...it looked like a 1/2" boil and I was told that as long as it didn't erupt or turn necrotic...I should be OK as long as I finished the antibiotics and didn't apply any heat or any thing...the pain was excruciating...like a five day flu...with the symptoms doubled in intensity. And all I could take was tylenol...not even with codeine. They also told me that I might be tempted to pop it to relieve pressure...and that if I did, that would be the last thing I would EVER do...Eventually (about a week and a half or so), the site started reducing and within a month all that remained (and still remains), is a purple blotch about a 1/4 inch to remind me of my little visitor.

So, Cory...you have my deepest sympathies...no idea of what it was?

Just get better!:)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
A swarm of Yellowjackets that got me after I ran over their nest with the mower. Which I'd take any day over what happened to DeanS.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Hope you feel better soon! It's difficult when you have so much to do, but your health is most important. No bad bug bite stories but hopefully others will come along and give you some entertainment. ;)

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
well i didnt feel the bite at all. i am not even 100% sure it was a spider bite. i dont have any flu sympthoms at all. the doctors and nurses are very confused that i never had a fever, or the sweats or chills. also no nausea or vomitting either. just the "bite mark" on my foot, the swelling, redness, and pain. that is all i have, nothing else. thanks everyone for your replies. ill keep u all updated. hopefully i get out of here soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That was kinda' fun. He eats the little bugs your space bar adds to the picture.

The worst bug thing that ever happened to me was just a little old bee sting and another time, a wasp sting. Burns like fire the first day, but the second day...the itching!!! I've never had such bad itching before!

1772658sqbzabh3pm.gif

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Here's something fun, and appropriate for your situation:
http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/

I enjoyed that one...I actually created little bugs for about 10 minutes to amuse the kiddies!

spikethebest said:
well i didnt feel the bite at all. i am not even 100% sure it was a spider bite. i dont have any flu sympthoms at all. the doctors and nurses are very confused that i never had a fever, or the sweats or chills. also no nausea or vomitting either. just the "bite mark" on my foot, the swelling, redness, and pain. that is all i have, nothing else. thanks everyone for your replies. ill keep u all updated. hopefully i get out of here soon.

Not trying to downplay it at all, but maybe whatever nipped you...the reaction was allergic?!?!?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I stepped on a scorpion in my bathroom and it stung me. It didn't hurt that much, but it creeped me out that I had a scorpion in my house.

I am so sorry to hear how sick you are.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I'll be praying for you Cory. I haven't had a bad bug bite, but I did have severe food poisoning last Thanksgiving while on vacation in Vegas. We had to drive from Vegas to San Diego and I can't tell you how many times I had to stop in the middle of the desert. I was so sick that my tongue actually peeled and it did damage to my liver. I was in the ER in San Diego for about. 11 hours. It took me days to recover and longer to get my taste buds back. I'll be praying that you feel better very soon.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DeanS said:
Not trying to downplay it at all, but maybe whatever nipped you...the reaction was allergic?!?!?

i love that idea. i will ask the doctor about that. i havent seen the doctor yet, so keep the ideas coming. anything to help solve this is much appreciated.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
doctor says its a skin infection. could of started from a bug bite, or a cut, or anything to make a hole in the skin, then bacteria got into my skin tissue and got infected and resist to the first line of antibotics given to me. those were the shots in my hip.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have not had any really bad bights but since you asked, I am an EMT and we got a call about a one year old boy that was having a seizure. We get there and the place was the worst drug and bug infected place that I had ever seen. The mom was on crack and did not even know she was on the earth let alone what was going on with her baby. We climb over trash and junk to get to the baby bed and there lays a under weight very sick little boy. The baby bed had dirty diapers and spoiled milk bottles in there with him. His diaper rash was the worst I have ever seen, big blisters and red and bleeding. When my partner picked him up I noticed the back of his head was totally flat from endless hours laying in that bed. His breathing was slow and shallow and for a one year old thats bad. We rushed him to the bus and in route to the hospital we started an IV and checked vitals, not good. Looking him over I found a huge boil that was black around the edge, red, hot and infected. Later that night we checked in on him and the docs said they believed it to be a brown recluse bight. For 3 days they fought for that kid but in the end he did not make it. The mother was arrested and is waiting trial. I have to testify and can't wait to do so. This was the worst case of abuse and neglect that I have seen so far and I will tell you I will never get over this one. The neighbor right next door to her apartment said she did not even know she had a baby and had lived next door for 3 years. I am sorry if I bumbed everyone out, but that is the real bad world and it makes me sick. It's calls like that make me wonder what the hell im doing this for and then you get another call that makes a difference in someones life.

fgately

5 Year Member
I have a good one. This happened almost 20 years ago, but I remeber it vividly!

I was driving a 16 passenger van for a summer day camp, on our way to an overnight trip to the beach. I was driving with the windows down because it was really hot outside. The kids were being typically rambuctious kids, and suddenly, something flew forward, bounced off the front widow, and then ended up landing between my legs. I thought one of the kids was throwng food or something. I reached down to grab what ever was there, and then, WHAM! Something stung me right next to the, well you know. I jumped, and quietly yelled out a bit, but managed to stay in the caravan until we pulled over. (No cell phones in the day.) I am still not sure what stung me, but it was obviously some type of hornet. It felt like an electric shock, and swelled up a bit. I was so happy when a couple of the more attractive female counselors came up to apply the sting ointment. "Yeah, the sting is right there." I felt kind of heroic!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thanks Tom...I've been feeding the damn spider for a half hour.
Missy...What a terrible, horrible story. Words can't even describe how I felt reading it. Don't ever think you are not making a difference. You must have to be very strong to do what you do. God bless you.
Cory...the only experience I've had with a bug of any kind (besides getting stung by a bee...ouch!) is....one night I was all alone watching TV and the biggest bug I ever saw ran across the screen. I was reading a book at the time, and threw it up in the air..ran out of the room and called my son to come over as fast as he could. I closed the door to my room until he got here, so the bug couldn't get out. He came over and searched my room for two hours....moving all the furniture. Then he called my other son, who came over with construction masks, and some kind of bug spray, and the two of them kept searching and spraying bug spray all over my room. While this was going on, my friend called to ask if I had watched Gray's Anatomy, and I said I was watching a little of it, but was reading a book at the same time because it was a repeat. Then I told her about the biggest bug I had ever seen, and that my two sons were here moving all the furniture looking for it. She then told me....laughing through her tears....that it was a commercial for an exterminator. It took me about 10 min. to get up enough nerve to go tell my sons what my friend told me. I had to sleep in the guest room while my room was airing out. True story. My kids will never let me live that one down.:p
Hope your feeling better reallllllll soon! Hugs!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! Good story, Frank! Strange pictures floating around in my head now.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Wow sorry to hear that Cory, I hope your feeling better today. I was walking around over in Eastern Oregon in high Dessert country poking around at rocks and I felt a sharp pain on my thigh, of course I slapped my pant leg until I was sure I killed it. I discovered I stood still to long near a bunch of fire ants, which are little red ants from hell. It hurt so bad I dam near dropped my pants in front of everybody, my whole leg ached I could not believe an aunt could do that. And I never felt anything crawl up my leg just the bite.
Please let us now how you’re doing. I hate being in the hospital and being poked with needles. I feel so bad for you.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well SPIKE Ol' Buddy .....* Get well * .. and along with mazuri I see
" RAID " .. in your sales !
SO ... Heres my story for ya .... and Iam sure I" ll hear the remarks ...
anyhow , 3 buddies and Myself... about as beach knuckleheads you can get and the only bugs we have are " lobsters" ..:D... we all set off to build a tattoo shop in the outskirts of Branson Mo. After Drving cross country for days ,, we made our desto and there was a cool creek , we all hopped in ...< of course hanging our clothes on nearby brush/branches> after a cool dip , dressed and went on with the adventure ... few hours later one of our buddies couldnt stop itching his crotch... we all laughed about who he might have seen before we left for the trip ..... well by the end of the nite ... we all were a bunch of " itching hippes" ... went to the " Town DOc" the next day ..... seems .. Us " City Boyz" .. ha haha ... had picked up a bunch of Deer Ticks ... and thought prime realastate was between your legs ... ( due to the warmth ) ,,,,,
so ... Beware .... " Tip Toe Thru The Tulips" ....
JD~:p * GET WELL SOON *

Status
Not open for further replies.