what wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyena

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MI
im new to tortoises and monday im getting a russian. I want to know specifically what bulb i should get..ive read tons of different thing and its like an information overload.I jjust wanna make sure i the right thing..thanks

Missy82

5 Year Member
south wales
Lots of people use different things I use a mercury bulb that gives of heat and uvb so they r getting a good dose of uvb when basking. Seperate ones are ok but the higher the uvb the better. Obviously natural outdoor light is better but for the times when u cant I would recomend the best bulb u can afford they can get really expensive.
congrats on ur new tort.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
I use Zoo Med Powersun UV 100w Bulb for my Russian( which is a mercury bulb.) That coat for about $60. But I also make sure I get him outside at least one hour everyday.

However, there are other. When I went to get a light for my other tortoise I'm getting. The Powersun were all out, and I got instead was a Exo Terra: Solar Glo UV 120W. The Exo Terra only come in tow sizes 120 and 160. The only on coat me $30ish. It was on sale.

But Powersun has a full year warranty were Exo Terra only has six months.

I hope that helps. Both of these are UV and heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What wattage you need depends upon many factors. Size of the enclosure, temp of the room, temp you are trying to maintain, etc. For a russian size enclosure in a "normal" room, a 100 watt MVB should work out just fine. Adjust your basking temp by raising or lowering your bulb. They sell lamp stands, just for this, but I usually hang my fixtures from something over the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.