what type of soil should I use for an outdoor enclosure?

vegas dad

Location (City and/or State)
henderson nevada
My tortoise is big enough to move outside and I was wondering what type of soil should I use for an outdoor enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise is big enough to move outside and I was wondering what type of soil should I use for an outdoor enclosure?
Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. I use the ground outside for substrate. If you are making some sort of raised garden bed area then fine grade orchid bark will work best.

What species and what size?

Last edited by a moderator:

vegas dad

henderson nevada

Spoil should never be used as tortoise substrate. I use the ground outside for substrate. If you are making some sort of raised garden bed area then fine grade orchid bark will work best.

What species and what size?
Spoil? The soil I have in Vegas where I want to put the bed will not allow him/her to burrough. Not sure what species. See attached picture

Attachments

• 20220627_092738.jpg
    20220627_092738.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spoil? The soil I have in Vegas where I want to put the bed will not allow him/her to burrough. Not sure what species. See attached picture
Unless it is actual concrete, he can burrow into it. Try using a pick or digging bar to get a burrow started for him where you want it. My dirt is so hard that a pick will literally spare and bounce off of it. My burrowing species have no trouble with it, and females of all species dig in to it to lay their eggs.

You have a desert tortoise. Most of the care info given for this species is wrong and will result in death. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Are you soaking your tortoise daily? Am asking as he seems to be pyramiding.

vegas dad

henderson nevada
Unless it is actual concrete, he can burrow into it. Try using a pick or digging bar to get a burrow started for him where you want it. My dirt is so hard that a pick will literally spare and bounce off of it. My burrowing species have no trouble with it, and females of all species dig in to it to lay their eggs.

You have a desert tortoise. Most of the care info given for this species is wrong and will result in death. Here is the correct care info:

Questions are welcome.
thanks. some of it is actual concretes. he/she is doing well and has grown a lot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
no not daily. gets a soak once a week. some information says not to soak them daily. makes sense as I live on the surface of teh sun basicallly.
Babies should be soaked daily. Older ones don't need it as much, but it is good for any age. I recommend 2 or 3 times a week for adults in the hot summer months. This species often dies from dehydration related complications.

"Some information" is exactly what I was talking about. Most of the care info given for this species is just plain wrong and people don't know it.

vegas dad

henderson nevada
Babies should be soaked daily. Older ones don't need it as much, but it is good for any age. I recommend 2 or 3 times a week for adults in the hot summer months. This species often dies from dehydration related complications.

"Some information" is exactly what I was talking about. Most of the care info given for this species is just plain wrong and people don't know it.
thanks for the tip.