What tortoise should i get?

Fe-2470

I already have a 5 year old female Herman’s tortoise, and am looking to get another one. I wanted to get another one because while i was on holiday i gave my tortoise to my aunt who also has two female 20 year old Herman’s tortoises and they got on like a house on fire, my one even climbed out of her enclosure to be with the other two on the first day, when one of them went to bed the other two would follow straight away.

What type, age and gender should i get?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Are you asking if you should get another one to put with your female hermann?

Tortoises are solitary creatures. The “following” you saw at your aunts house wasn’t two tortoises in love, it was one tortoise trying to chase the other out of its territory. Same goes with “cuddling”, which is crowding, along with sharing a hide, standing on the food, and just being around each other in general. Tortoises should never, ever be kept in pairs, and it is highly stressful for them both.

Now if you want to keep them separate, disregard that completely. What size do you want, and would it be living indoors or outdoors? Every species is very different :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Are you sure that is the truth for all tortoises?

Yes. Tortoises are solitary animals, do not make friends, and should never be kept in pairs. In pairs, there is always a dominant and a subordinate, and both are constantly trying to get the other out of their territory. Your aunts tortoises aren’t friends, they’re rivals.

Fe-2470

My tortoise is very small and my aunts two are full size, and they were put in separate enclosures and my one climbed out of hers into the others. Is this rivalry?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My tortoise is very small and my aunts two are full size, and they were put in separate enclosures and my one climbed out of hers into the others. Is this rivalry?

Yes, probably. Were they able to see each other through a fence?