Hibernating

Lou Smith

Location (City and/or State)
Reedham, Norwich
Hi everyone,
I have two Herman’s tortoises, one is two years old and a three year old .. I’ve read so much abt hibernating them for the first time and am utterly confused .. Do this, don’t do this .. you must do this, no don’t do that .. I am terrified of getting it wrong!! .. please can someone help or advise? ..

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I get it. There are TONS of opinions on brumating ( hibernating but for reptiles ). Every tortoise is different, and really has his/her own way of doing things. Regardless of what happens, (Hermann's, Greek, and Russian tortoises especially ) will burrow and sleep through the winter months (middle of October / early November through March to sometimes April). Best thing to do in my experience, fill up their tank with at least 6 inches of substrate ( depending on how big ur tort is) enough for them to burrow under (I use coco coir ), and do the same thing you would do everyday. Give them food and water daily, Hermann's are perfectly safe to brumate. Don't be alarmed if they don't eat or drink for a couple days. They are perfectly fine. At the end of the day, they will be fine. They are just doing what tortoises do best :)

Lou Smith

Reedham, Norwich
I get it. There are TONS of opinions on brumating ( hibernating but for reptiles ). Every tortoise is different, and really has his/her own way of doing things. Regardless of what happens, (Hermann's, Greek, and Russian tortoises especially ) will burrow and sleep through the winter months (middle of October / early November through March to sometimes April). Best thing to do in my experience, fill up their tank with at least 6 inches of substrate ( depending on how big ur tort is) enough for them to burrow under (I use coco coir ), and do the same thing you would do everyday. Give them food and water daily, Hermann's are perfectly safe to brumate. Don't be alarmed if they don't eat or drink for a couple days. They are perfectly fine. At the end of the day, they will be fine. They are just doing what tortoises do best :)
Thank you .. they are starting to sleep for a couple of days at a time, then eat etc for a day, then sleep again .. I was wondering if I could just bank up their bedding etc as you say and leave them asleep without their heat lamp or light .. the room is cool anyway?

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
Thank you .. they are starting to sleep for a couple of days at a time, then eat etc for a day, then sleep again .. I was wondering if I could just bank up their bedding etc as you say and leave them asleep without their heat lamp or light .. the room is cool anyway?

I personally still keep the heat lamp and uvb lamp on during the day because if he/she happens to get cold, they can come out, warm up, and then go back to bed. Its also good for them, whenever they come out and eat, to get a little warmth and UVB, and then go back to burrowing. Good luck and hope this helps :)