What to look for and ask about at a pet fair?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You want one whose eyes are bright and open wide, one that's actively trying to escape and not hiding in a corner. One that feels like a rock, and not a shell full of air. It shouldn't concern you how they are kept at their current home, because chances are they're all wild caught, so correct living conditions isn't something I would ask about.

Schildlkröte

United States
You want one whose eyes are bright and open wide, one that's actively trying to escape and not hiding in a corner. One that feels like a rock, and not a shell full of air. It shouldn't concern you how they are kept at their current home, because chances are they're all wild caught, so correct living conditions isn't something I would ask about.

Thank you for that tip, Yvonne. I was hoping to find a real breeder at the fair with some captive-bred tortoises. Is this unlikely? Should I assume that the tortoises are wild-caught even if the seller tells me otherwise?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are adults they will likely be wild caught. If they are hatchlings then they are likely breed/hatched by the person selling them. If you do find hatchlings, then you do want to know how they are housing them. The humidity is what's important at that point. Do they give them a humid enclosure or at least a humid hide.
Hatchling Russians are hard to come by.
Good luck and have fun.

Schildlkröte

United States
If they are adults they will likely be wild caught. If they are hatchlings then they are likely breed/hatched by the person selling them. If you do find hatchlings, then you do want to know how they are housing them. The humidity is what's important at that point. Do they give them a humid enclosure or at least a humid hide.
Hatchling Russians are hard to come by.
Good luck and have fun.

I had not bargained on a hatchling since I have never owned a tortoise before. I am not set up for one right now, though I do have an unused 20 g long fish tank that I could use and try to keep up humidity with a spray bottle (what I do for my hermit crabs), but really, I was hoping for a juvenile, not a hatchling.

I may end up purchasing a Russian tortoise through another route, but I'm going to check out what's going on at the fair regardless.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The 20 would only work for a hatchling. A juvenile and adult will need more room. A 4x8 for an adult and not much smaller for a juvie.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
90% of the venders gonna be snakes, lizards, geckos and equipments/supplies .
So good luck