Princess Leia takes top honors at local 4H fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Galaxy far, far away...
Today was a fun day for our family. Our 12 year old daughter is a member of a local 4H reptile club. This weekend is a regional 4H fair. Our daughter presented Princess Leia today to a judge. She was questioned on multiple topics including: natural habitat, diet, history of the species and husbandry. She then participated in a reptile demonstration with Princess Leia in front of a large crowd, followed by an audience Q and A session. Our daughter also created a presentation booth about African Leopard Torts and kept Leia out for passers by to see. She did great and so did Leia. We were very proud and all had lots of fun.

As for awards:
Our daughter took second place in the judging of her Reptile Journal and second place in her species presentation.

Princess Leia took top honors and won "Best Overall Reptile" for the entire fair. There were about 30 different reptiles present. She was one of 10 tortoises.

Lots of fun. Many thanks to Adam Harris from Harris In Wonderland for judging the competition.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
4H is one of the best programs ever for children. I was in it and now my children are in it too.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I enjoyed 4H when I was a child and wish all young people would have the chance and take the opportunity to participate. Congratulations to your daughter and to you also.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What great news. Your daughter sounds special, as well as your tort. Nice family day.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Congrats to both your daughter and Princess Leia. My boys show all their reptiles for 4-H and just have the best time. Where are the pictures? :p

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I believe my lovely wife is in the other room loading the pics! Thanks for the nice replies. Good to hear from all of you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thats fantastic Rob. Congrats to your youngin' and Leia!

Nobody talks about 4H around here. I'll have to look into that for my little one.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Another cool thing that happened today is that Rob and I met a Sulcata in person!! Sulcata people…. I get it!! They are so personable! Here is a pic of Rob and the sulcata…

4t603o.jpg

and here is a picture of our daughter giving a demo and talk about African Leopards…
20zeez8.jpg

One more thing…for those of you who don't know that is Princess Leia cruising around in front of her.:)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I must admit it, that Sulcata was awesome and certainly makes me want one. This guy I'm holding is 18 and was raised from a hatchling here in CT.

As for 4H in general, it is awesome. I was not exposed to it as a child, but I love being part of it as an adult. 4H is a wonderful resource for kids and families. Public speaking, respect for animals, community, etc... The benefits go on and on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey, Rob:

Please give your daughter a virtual blue ribbon from me! I'm so proud of her!!

(We haven't heard from you in such a long time, I was starting to wonder if one of those creatures from Star Wars had absconded with you!)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
For now I am safe here on Earth!!

4H fair was also a success for my nephew. He won first place for the entire fair for his presentation as well as many other ribbons for his animals. He also helped other kids by allowing them to use his animals for presentation.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Very cool...when I was in 4H, it was strictly chickens/other fowl, cattle, goats/sheep, rabbits and pigs...no exotics at all.

Of course, when I was in 4H, dinosaurs still ruled parts of the Earth (nowdays, only a couple of lakes in the Democratic Republic of Congo ;))

The Pricesses both look great and congrats to both! :cool:

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Congrats, very awesome!

Make me realize something else I should be doing for my kids..... oh man....

Status
Not open for further replies.