What to feed.

JHoward

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I've had Tommy since mid September. His feeding habits have gradually changed as he has grown. I attribute this to changing dietary needs as he has grown. At first he would only eat baby spring mix - mostly the romaine - never anything red colored and mazuri. He eventually began to eat some cucumber, then he was on an escarole binge then kale. He has always eaten the African grass blend I've been growing, but I don't have enough I can feed him every day and not enough for a whole meal. He has always refused to eat native grasses I have picked. He even recently ate some spinach and dandelion greens. What else should I try? He was a "hatchling" from the tortoiseshack. Oh, and he was eating nopal too, but now he only wants the mazuri mostly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not spinach, not good for them. Also cucumber is okay once in a great while or if you think he needs more hydration, as it's mostly water. For other ideas, check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for edible plants.

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
I don't usually give him any spinach, but it's hard to find spring mix around here that doesn't have it. So I have to pick it all out.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Some spinach is okay but don't make it a major part of the diet. Small amounts found in spring mix are fine. The best advice is variety. Try changes like red or green leaf lettuce, some spring mix, and other items off the lists you can find on the forum. They will like mazuri and want it more than lettuce, so you need to mix them and only feed mazuri as an extra and not the main dish on the meal plate.

JHoward

5 Year Member
Virginia
Being winter, I am limited as to what I have available. He won't eat any type of red lettuce. I try to get most greens from the Asian/international grocery as they have a wider variety of greens. However, they don't always have items labeled in English or at all.