I killed my Leopard. What went wrong?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks for your detailed explanations. Much to think about here.

(I have kept tortoises for over 40 years, now keep various species, and have some experience of breeding and raising (successfully, I think) a few hermanns.
I do try to keep up to date with the latest research, and the experience of other tortoise keepers. That's why I'm on here.)
Good to know.

Your questions and conversation are welcome. The more experienced tortoise keepers tend to be the most incredulous of this newer info, but they also have the best questions. This usually leads to discussion and more is learned all around.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks for your detailed explanations. Much to think about here.

(I have kept tortoises for over 40 years, now keep various species, and have some experience of breeding and raising (successfully, I think) a few hermanns.
I do try to keep up to date with the latest research, and the experience of other tortoise keepers. That's why I'm on here.)

I thought I would give an example of some differences noticed with raising hatchlings "Tom's way" vs the old way. I must say that 10 years ago when I got my first Leopard Tortoise (Pardalis babcocki) hatchling at 2 1/2 months old and 49g, I found one reference in Richard and Jerry Fife's book to increasing humidity, and I did add a humid hide for Leo. Today I am raising my first 6 Leopard hatchlings "Tom's way" and I wanted to share a couple differences I've noticed. These babies are weighing 70 g at two months. My Leo wasn't 70 g until he was nearly one year old. So sad to think what a difference the "old dry way" compared to "Tom's way" can make for a Tortoise. My Leo is actually fairly smooth, but I know he will never reach his full potential as a result. I also feel he is just more chronically dry. I pray these babies will go to homes that understand this concept and will follow through so they can reach their full potential. I hope everyone will be open to learning this "new way" and all Tortoises can reach their full potentials. They depend on us.