What to do when eggs hatch??

Dean Wirth

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta
I am asking this because I have four eggs that are 5 weeks old. they are set at 28 Celcius /82 Farenheit and seem to be swelling and doing ok. if one pips, should I move it to the terrarium I have set up or just let the baby alone? I know not to help it out of its shell, would moving it hurt it? This would be good advice to other people with eggs too.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Thanks for the congratulations, hoping for the best and still not sure whether to move the pipping egg, I think its best not to though.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just leave the pipping egg in the incubator. Once they emerge from the egg, set up another tub with paper towels in it and leave them in the incubator until they suck the sac up. Having a little tank set up for them is wise. Peat moss or coco coir is best rather deep and moist. Under tank heaters are usually a good thing to use for wee guys too as it keeps the substrate warm. Box turtle hatchlings can be tough to start off. So make sure you have a good supply of worms ready for feeding, they're quite small so soaking them multiple times a day is best. Also soak them once they have emerged entirely from the egg.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Thanks for the reply tortadise, I raised a hatchling and was lucky in that he lived 2 1/2 years, just in case there's more than one I want to be prepared. It emerged from its egg shell and was digging within a matter of hours. I find dirt works well, and have several small pools available. I don't think they should swim unsupervised for the first bit though lol.
Your advise I much appreciated.