What the dumbest thing your tortoise has ever done

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Russian when he climbed about 4 feet straight up a tree and gut stuck in one of the tree crotches. My one leopard Tatum got himself stuck in the bottom of a safety cone. My other leopard cracks me up daily with he charges at me then just goes through my legs.

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely eating his poop while soaking if I’m not quick enough but today took the cake. He always eats on top of his food mound but has gotten too big. So today he lays on it trying to eat but is not able to get his mouth near the food. For five straight minutes he ate air before finally turning around and getting out of the bowl. It’s time for a bigger bowl!

Kaliman1962

i put my guy on the couch, my son was sitting on the other end of the couch wearing a green shirt, she ran over to him & tried to bite the shirt,
then went over & tried to bite the dogs nail as she just watched him do it, i even have it on video,

Bambam1989

East Texas
I don't know about dumb but I can tell you the grossest thing.
Clunker pooped in his enclosure (he usually only goes in the soak or outside) then walked in it really thoroughly. Then goes to the wall and starts pawing at it, because he never does this, the sound made me go take a look.
There he was reared up on two legs smearing poop Everywhere. He gives me this look like "I am Poopcaso!"
Yeah he was make tort poop wall art.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This past Saturday I set up a little pen with cinder blocks in my backyard for my RF Murphy. He was out there all day just fine and I was checking on him every few minutes. Then went to check and he was gone. I started to literally freak out but then I saw him. He had somehow managed to scale the wall but had fallen into one of the cinder blocks, butt first and was just sitting there upright stuck! He was looking at me like "little help here". Needless to say next weekend were going a couple rows higher with the bricks!

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
Tortoises don't walk round anything if they can help it.

I have always said I only have 3 types of plant in my garden
1. Edible
2. Trampled
3. Too big to be eaten to the ground or flattened
Actually this is why I love my Sulcata
He doesn't seem to trample his plants? He never eats a whole young plant down to the ground, and he avoids the small plants I grew in his enclosure by walking around it whereas he could have easily squished it.

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
So we all have seen our tortoise flipped at some point and have constantly laughed at their behavior. So what is the dumbest thing your tortoise has ever done?
This is a was a repeating habit, untill I put a brick there. So, underneath Tabbi's ladder, there is a little bit of space. She would always, I repeat, always, get stuck under there. Every day I would come home and hear her trying to scratch her way out. I tried a million different ways of blocking it, but no, she would get back there. The brick was my last resort, and it works. But she still glares at me for it. (At least, that's what it feels like.)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Actually this is why I love my Sulcata
He doesn't seem to trample his plants? He never eats a whole young plant down to the ground, and he avoids the small plants I grew in his enclosure by walking around it whereas he could have easily squished it.
Hmmm, my 7lb Greek is not so careful!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't know about dumb. But funny to me is the story of a baby Redfoot tortoise I had that scaled a wall made of cement blocks and then through a chicken wire fence.
For days, I scoured the yard on my hands and knees. Even offering my step son and a friend $20 each to look. Then I went to the neighbors and asked to look through their yards.
After 3 or 4 days I had given up and went to dismantle that particular pen...And found him trying to break back IN!
I suppose to get some food.
The worst prison break ever.

kellya31

Indiana
My Russian when he climbed about 4 feet straight up a tree and gut stuck in one of the tree crotches. My one leopard Tatum got himself stuck in the bottom of a safety cone. My other leopard cracks me up daily with he charges at me then just goes through my legs.
Tortoise climb trees? Lol. I better get Bobby some climbing gear like the ninja turtles

kellya31

Indiana
@kellya31 put a cuttlebone in the enclosure. You buy them from the bird aisle of a pet store. Rock-eating is usually a growing tort looking for calcium and cuttlebone is a really good source.
Okay thank you, that’s next on my tortoise list. Will get him set up for more calcium.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
That's a difficult question! There have been so many dumb things! Maybe when he walked underneath my teak lounge chair and it got stuck on his back. He carried it out on the lawn before he got free.
My Sullys move my patio furniture all over the place ... constantly ... its annoying. Im slowing buying new pieces that dont have space underneath them. Im tired of adjusting cinder blocks. Its like they think they are only as big as their head. If their head fits, the rest of them will and they bull doze forward. Im always pulling table and chairs off of them :/

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
This isnt really a dumb thing but its certainly annoying and they were at it all day today. My 2 CDTs know how to use the dog door. I have a little ramp for them so they can go in and out. However ... they prefer just going out and pace the slider, knocking on the glass slider with their shell and nails, until I let them in. Then they mosey on back to the dog door, slide on out and repeat the pacing until I let them in. Again ... and again ... and again. I told them to knock it off but they dont listen well.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This isnt really a dumb thing but its certainly annoying and they were at it all day today. My 2 CDTs know how to use the dog door. I have a little ramp for them so they can go in and out. However ... they prefer just going out and pace the slider, knocking on the glass slider with their shell and nails, until I let them in. Then they mosey on back to the dog door, slide on out and repeat the pacing until I let them in. Again ... and again ... and again. I told them to knock it off but they dont listen well.
I think Charlie likes the sound of his shell rubbing against the glass as he loves walking next to the glass doors. Or maybe he is trying to get my attention.