Status
Not open for further replies.

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's a Middle Eastern Greek subspecies. It could be from any number of locations including Southern Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon. Appears to be wild caught so could be anywhere from 7-12 years old based on size and appearance.
It is not an albino. The light coloration lacking a lot of dark pigmentation is a very common trait of most of the Middle Eastern Greek populations.

ismail

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
It's a Middle Eastern Greek subspecies. It could be from any number of locations including Southern Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Lebanon. Appears to be wild caught so could be anywhere from 7-12 years old based on size and appearance.
It is not an albino. The light coloration lacking a lot of dark pigmentation is a very common trait of most of the Middle Eastern Greek populations.

I don't want to sound offensive, but is it legal to purchase wild caught tortoises?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
ismail said:
GBtortoises said:

I don't want to sound offensive, but is it legal to purchase wild caught tortoises?
Speaking only for the U.S., it's absolutely legal as to purchase wild caught tortoises as long as they have met the legal criteria to be imported into the country. The majority of the tortoises available in pet shops and also many from online sites are wild caught tortoises. Tortoises of many species are still collected and imported into the U.S. and several other countries by the tens of thousands each year.
I am not implying that I agree with the practice, because for the most part I do not. I am in favor of someone purchasing captive born tortoises, especially those from long term adult captives, whenever possible.

Logan J

5 Year Member
Yeah I'm still learning about Greeks I have two but I'm still not very good at telling the differences between the species.

image-2885981040.png

Status
Not open for further replies.