Greek Tortoise help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member
I have a greek tortoise i bought at the pet store last saturday. the man in the pet store told me he was 6-9 months old but others have said he looks older. I'll post some pics, can you guys help me out? the undersie of his shell is concaved and the back where his tail is makes a V not a U so im almost certain he's a male. he's the length of my hand (bout 7-8in long roughly) if you have any info thatll help me learn more about him (subspecies, sex, age) id really appriciate it! thanks guys!~

RSCN0801.JPGDSCN0669.JPGRSCN0738.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't help you much. However he is probably more like 5 years old. They probably had him for 6-9 months. Pet stores don't usually get them that young. Others will be along to help answer your other questions. He is nice looking though.

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I can't help you much. However he is probably more like 5 years old. They probably had him for 6-9 months. Pet stores don't usually get them that young. Others will be along to help answer your other questions. He is nice looking though.

thank you C: the guy at the pet store said theyd had him for bout 3 weeks. i wish they had more info for me when i bought him. although they were super nice and showed alot of care towards the animals. they all lookd happy and healthy! (which makes me happy too!) ^-^

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thats a WC "golden greek" and could be from over a dozen of different locales. Can you post a pic of his/her plastron so we can identify what sex your tort is? Its also impossible to tell how old he is but in order for us to have a good guess we'd have to know how big he/she is so in your plastron pic can you put a ruler next to him? Great looking tort! Whereabouts are you located?

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member
Thats a WC "golden greek" and could be from over a dozen of different locales. Can you post a pic of his/her plastron so we can identify what sex your tort is? Its also impossible to tell how old he is but in order for us to have a good guess we'd have to know how big he/she is so in your plastron pic can you put a ruler next to him? Great looking tort! Whereabouts are you located?
[/quote]

thank you for replying to me~ ive been refreshing the page every hour waiting on some help!
i am located very close to Dallas, TX. his plastron also caves in (i dont think you can tell in the picture)
here are 3 pictures of him. 2 with the rulers across the top and bottom of his shell C:
DSCN0823.JPGDSCN0822.JPGDSCN0820.JPG

also his shell is not completely smooth. i dont know when it constitutes as pyramiding but he does have small lumps on his shell where pyramiding would start. Here's a picture C:

DSCN0824.JPG

thank you so much for the help guys id love to know all i can about my little Stotle~

Last edited by a moderator:

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Definitely a male. The little amount amount of pyramiding is perfectly normal in WC specimens and nothing to worry about. I'd say he's anywhere from 6-8 years old.

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Definitely a male. The little amount amount of pyramiding is perfectly normal in WC specimens and nothing to worry about. I'd say he's anywhere from 6-8 years old.
can you guys tell me how you know he's WC? i dont know how you can tell the difference:b
thank you ^-^

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
WC's normally have very little to no pyramiding and they have somewhat worn down shells. CB usually have more pyramiding and are normally very clean with very little to no damage to their shells. The fact that you got him from a pet store and that he is 4" is huge factor as well. Another thing is these tortoises are not commonly bred in captivity.

Starstrucksadie

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
WC's normally have very little to no pyramiding and they have somewhat worn down shells. CB usually have more pyramiding and are normally very clean with very little to no damage to their shells. The fact that you got him from a pet store and that he is 4" is huge factor as well. Another thing is these tortoises are not commonly bred in captivity.

ohh okies, thank you very much! I guess ill need to make sure to take him to the vet then C: do you guys think he'll get any larger? hes very outgoing with me! hasnt been shy at all since the day i got him!:)

mainey34 said:
He is defiantly a nice looking guy
Thank you ^-^ alot of people have been telling me that. im so flattered i have such a beautiful tortoise C: i wish i knew exactly how old he is /:

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina
Starstrucksadie said:

thank you for replying to me~ ive been refreshing the page every hour waiting on some help!
i am located very close to Dallas, TX. his plastron also caves in (i dont think you can tell in the picture)
here are 3 pictures of him. 2 with the rulers across the top and bottom of his shell C:

also his shell is not completely smooth. i dont know when it constitutes as pyramiding but he does have small lumps on his shell where pyramiding would start. Here's a picture C:

thank you so much for the help guys id love to know all i can about my little Stotle~
[/quote]

he is very nice looking , my golden greeks are also wc , and very friendly .

Status
Not open for further replies.