What species is my box hatchling?

EricL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I ordered two eastern box turtles hatchlings a few weeks back, and they looked quite different, but I figured it was just from a different clutch or was just variety. After looking closer at them one of them no doubt looks like an eastern, but the other I can only see has 3 toes. It being so small, I can't tell if a nail fell off making it look like 3 instead of 4. What do you guys think? Thanks. IMG_0621.JPG IMG_0624.JPG IMG_0625.JPG IMG_0627.JPG

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They both look eastern to me. But honestly, as hatchling the sub species often all look alike.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It looks eastern to me. I have an adult eastern male from the eastern part of their range that has three large toes and a smaller fourth toe on each rear leg. In the pictures of your hatchling it looks like there is skeletal formation for a fourth toe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is there dark coloration on the plastron? It looks eastern to me too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Eastern babies have yellow with blackish. But only time will tell.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks eastern, But baby box turtles change so much over time. cute baby though.

Kyle

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What information did you receive when you ordered them, as far as what species they were?

My initial gut reaction was major based on the shell colors and pattern, but there are a lot of similarities in box turtles that it's hard to tell sometimes. Especially with hatchlings.

EricL

5 Year Member
Maryland
What information did you receive when you ordered them, as far as what species they were?

My initial gut reaction was major based on the shell colors and pattern, but there are a lot of similarities in box turtles that it's hard to tell sometimes. Especially with hatchlings.
It was said to be a Eastern Box, but coming from Tortoise Town, I would not be surprised if it was not.

jakskillz

Georgia
I see the three toes on the one hatchling so but that still could just mean either eastern or three toed. Guess you’ll just have to wait and see