What plants to not give my russian kale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cally

5 Year Member
Hi i am new to this forum and i need tons of help identifying plants to feed kale? He is my russian tort :) i offered him forsythia leaves becus i read they enjoy them- he didnt like them at all- he semi liked hibiscus leaves?!? However is it ok to offer him the red flower??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Giving the green light to both hibiscus leaves and flowers! Happy eats :D

cally

5 Year Member
Really :) awesome!! Did happy enjoy the leaves right away? I love that name for your tort :):) ill send you a pic of mine i just had a flower open today

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Ongoshh i read that wrong hahaha happy eat :) sorry about that i feel silly

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372791610.681213.jpgso this is ok to offer kale??

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372791734.632761.jpg lets see if kale enjoyss :) thank youuu

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Last edited by a moderator:

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Lol np.. you'll find that what a lot of people recommend for food might not be what Kale likes. It's all his personal preference. Just keep offering tons of variety. I like making a journal for my guys; what I feed them, what they seem to like/dislike. You never know.. what they turn their noses up now might seem amazing to them later on.

cally

5 Year Member
Your so right! Kale is a picky eater- but starting to enjoy new things! Im gunna do ur journal idea very smart ! Lol and here kale with his new flower :) thanks n thanks! I have no idea what to offer him much or what he likes and cant hAve :/

Cally- Russian Tort <3

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372792126.974237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372792144.856972.jpg
( he was so unsure! He huffed at it a few times haha) aww
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372792186.097938.jpg
( kale accepts and likes :) ) yaayy

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Do you recommend pansies of All types? I live in ohio, so i am limited and want to know before winter so i can bring some plants indoors

Cally- Russian Tort <3

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There are many good "safe plants for torts" sites out there. Try: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

I'm sure others can recommend other sites. Also, I read your aloe thread. Any reason why you want to know what types you have? I believe all aloe species are safe for occasional feeding but there might be exceptions like all things :D

Yes to pansies. Pansies should be good in winter weather for its cold tolerance.

cally

5 Year Member
Kale likes the second aloe plant a lot - thats why it looks torn up and sparingly lol he found it and couldn't resist , i was told he would only chew on the plant and aloe makes them runny- but he eats the whole thing and loves it a lot, so far no runny poop either :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Btw - what are some of your guy/ girls favorites? :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Omgoshh u hAve no idea how many sites i keep looking at- and i feel like nothing grows in ohio lol- so i like to ask that way i get other ppls opinions on good things to offer so i can either plant of get

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Ohio gets like below zero and into the negatives during winter :(:( it looks like dead trees, no grass, and freezing cold weather! :/ sometimes our perennials don't make it- also kale likes these green weeds in the yard with a tiny yellow flower on top? He moved onto the short white balls that stick up in the grass , and found a few dandelions and attacked them hehe

Cally- Russian Tort <3

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I have a mini army of redfoot so their diet differs from russians a bit. Mine love mushrooms and mazuri (duh.. tortoise crack). And when I offer a salad of backyard weeds and greens, they tend to eat clover and chickweed first. They kinda rotate on what their favorites are each week. I gave them their first fig today and when I came back, two of them did a number on it.

cally

5 Year Member
Awe- dont be shy , show them :) pics pics! :D and im sorry to ask a lot, kale likes clovers- jeeze we have tons of mushroomS in our yards everywhere ( idk if any of them are edible to yours) and yeah kale does the same thing switches it up- but like i said theres just not much even in the yard for him- i caught him attacking cactus that i have planted outside- i picked him up and he had the smaller orange thorns on him- so i freaked and took tweezers n gently pulled them out and then gave him a good soaking... I wish their was cactus he could he because he sure loved it a lot

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Miny army eeh? Im curious :)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
You're not asking a lot. And yes, I'm definitely shy. Try spineless opuntia cactus. Many online places sell them. Tortoisesupply.com, carolinapetsupply.com, coastalsilkworms.com to name a few. Be careful with some of the things Kale might get herself into. But I think many members on here say that torts, if given a choice on what they can eat, usually stray away from anything poisonous. Keep asking questions :D

cally

5 Year Member
Thank you :) i appreciate your opinions so much! And idk whats posinious to kale at all! I know its bad! ThAnks for the links- dont be shy u should share your torts! I bet their great!! :D i am new with kale as u can tell lol

Cally- Russian Tort <3

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'm pretty new, too. Today is exactly 3 months with my babes. I always get excited on every 2nd of the month cuz it's weigh/length-in day.

Here's a pic of Sunset aka Sunny the Portobello piggy:20130609_163545.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Make a list of all the plants you have growing outside (pesticide and herbicide free ) and the ones that you can buy in the grocery stire and then look them up in the Tortoise Table Plant Database http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

It is greta for finding out what is good to feed and you can search by name or by flower plant/flower colour which really helps.

There is also a Plant Booklet that you can download with good pictures http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_booklet_8595_40.asp

In outdoor enclosures where a tort has a choice between plants, they are pretty good at ignoring the poisonous plants as these usually smell and taste bad to them. Indoors it is more of problem as torts get what they are given, if what they are given is poisonous and they are hungry then it may well get eaten.

cally

5 Year Member
Eeeek! Dont scare me :/ like i was saying i live in ohio :( and there is literally NOTHiNG but-
Hostas
Clematis
Morning glory
Pansies
Herbs
Cherry trees
Apple trees
Maple,oak,and willows
Yard weeds- dandelions, grasses, and leafy things :/ sorry idk the names- but mostly just grasses
Some clovers
Pothos - posinous to dogs i think
Ivys
Bleeding hearts
Blueberry bushes
Rose bushes
[[ thats like everything in the yard and basically locally sold)

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Our local plants sold are herbs, veggies, tomato plants, squash, and zucchini, cucumber, and spring mix lettuce- then theres the exotic indoor plAnts :/ it totally sucks :(

Cally- Russian Tort <3

Status
Not open for further replies.