What plants not to feed?

ChuckK

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello! I got my new little guy about two weeks ago now. He mowed down all of the little herb seedlings I had growing in his enclosure and has finally started eating the plants we put in his bowl. So far we've done spinach, radish (with leaves), broccoli leafs and long leaf plantain. He loves the radish leaves and broccoli leaves the best so far.

Now I have read some guides on what types of plants to feed to torts, but are there any plants that may be growing around the yard that should NOT be fed to a tortoise?

TobyAndMarissa

Grafton, WI
I would focus on the things that he can eat, rather than the things that he can't eat. Just don't let him eat it if you don't know what it is. Hope this helps.

Sesel

Seychelles
So far we've done spinach, radish (with leaves), broccoli leafs and long leaf plantain. He loves the radish leaves and broccoli leaves the best so far.

Now I have read some guides on what types of plants to feed to torts, but are there any plants that may be growing around the yard that should NOT be fed to a tortoise?
Have you tried thetortoisetable?
You can then filter the results according to whether it's safe or not.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
While your tort is being brought greens by you, focus on what you know and what you can feed. Don't feed anything that you haven't identified and haven't checked for suitability. The Plant ID section of TFO is a good place to post photos so others can help you identify plants.

The Tortoise Table Plant Database https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a great website to look up plants to find out whether or not they're suitable to feed. Most importantly, it explains why they aren't suitable, so you know whether or not you need to panic if your tort takes a bite.

ChuckK

Florida
While your tort is being brought greens by you, focus on what you know and what you can feed. Don't feed anything that you haven't identified and haven't checked for suitability. The Plant ID section of TFO is a good place to post photos so others can help you identify plants.

The Tortoise Table Plant Database https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk is a great website to look up plants to find out whether or not they're suitable to feed. Most importantly, it explains why they aren't suitable, so you know whether or not you need to panic if your tort takes a bite.

Thanks a ton! That is exactly the sort of resource I was looking for.