What no bird lovers?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Oh yes ... She reads the Forum "too" ....( no pun intended :p ) and heck thats old school if ya notice the back drop on the forum page....and after a long night of chatting it up about torts ...." off to never never land v^v^
SS1.jpg

:D
JD~

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I have an African Grey. He is near the front door.
When the doorbell rings he yells WHO'S THERE :pause: GO GET THE GUN.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
My husband has a grey, billy. He does the microwave, both our message tones (we hunt about for our phones only to find an empty screen...) he also does the whistle on the mcdonalds advert. His most used phrases are "see ya later mate" when he hears door keys, he shouts "OLIVER" (our cat when he's naughty) at the top of his voice, "GARY, c'mon, in" (other cat) and he mimics newton spot on, when he's nipped gets told "up. Now". Knows he has a time out coming.... So he just repeats it. He likes a swear...He fell off his top perch, got himself up, exclaimed "sh*t" with a very pronounced T then kept tutting, huffing and saying oh god, all the way back up to the top. It was so funny. I know they aren't meant to use phrases in context, but he managed ok that day haha. Admittedly he is super intelligent, and beautiful, but he terrorises me when newtons not at home.... He hates me and knows how to push my buttons....

3f509a14.jpg

9e032d81.jpg

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
GeoTerraTestudo said:
emysemys said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
What's a CAG?

Congo African Grey parrot. Very talkative. My daughter has one. He calls the dogs and sounds just like my daughter when he says, "Jim! Jim! Jim! Jim!" (Jim is her husband's name and he never listens when you call him once)

Ah yes, African greys are remarkably smart animals. Behaviorist Irene Pepperberg taught her late subject, Alex, to speak and solve simple mathematical problems. Really a fascinating species. :)

Interesting... I donated a painting to Irene. I will post a few.

paph painting.jpgpainting scarlet.jpgpainting M too.jpgpainting lg too paintng.jpgpainting goffen too.jpgpainting blue and gold.jpgpainting freeport.jpgalex.jpgalex and irene.jpg

I paint parrots!

I paint orchids also.

I hope that you like them.... ~C

GeoTerraTestudo said:
emysemys said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:
What's a CAG?

Congo African Grey parrot. Very talkative. My daughter has one. He calls the dogs and sounds just like my daughter when he says, "Jim! Jim! Jim! Jim!" (Jim is her husband's name and he never listens when you call him once)

Ah yes, African greys are remarkably smart animals. Behaviorist Irene Pepperberg taught her late subject, Alex, to speak and solve simple mathematical problems. Really a fascinating species. :)

I know Irene! Check out the painting that I did for her. ~C

Last edited by a moderator:

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
As you can see from my sig, I have 2 Double head Amazon parrots. The female, Nikita, has shared my life for 17 years, the male, Max, I have shared my life for only a couple years. My wife convinced me to adopt the Max, to keep Nikita company. Boy was that a mistake, Nikita is a calm gently Amazon, Max is aggressive, ill mannered and very very smart. I have finnaly worked out a truce and he no longer bites me or even attemps to bite.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
fbsmith3 said:
As you can see from my sig, I have 2 Double head Amazon parrots. The female, Nikita, has shared my life for 17 years, the male, Max, I have shared my life for only a couple years. My wife convinced me to adopt the Max, to keep Nikita company. Boy was that a mistake, Nikita is a calm gently Amazon, Max is aggressive, ill mannered and very very smart. I have finnaly worked out a truce and he no longer bites me or even attemps to bite.

Well, I give you credit for being able to work with Max. Those Double yellow heads Amazons (and most Amazons) can be a tough parrot to work with. Smart and not afraid to use their beaks! I love when they fan their tails!

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
GeoTerraTestudo said:
CLMoss said:
Interesting... I donated a painting to Irene. I will post a few.

I know Irene! Check out the painting that I did for her. ~C

Awesome! And I love the paintings. How do you know Irene?

Hi, I was very active in the "parrot world," donating to different rescues, sanctuaries and WPT (World Parrot Trust, to help indangered species). Irene and I would see each other at different events, and I would go to her lectures. I loved the work that she was doing with Alex and how she wanted to apply some of her methods to disabled children. So to help her I would paint paintings of Alex and donate them to her foundation so she could auction them. Irene is just a doll. I never received such gratitude and thankfulness from any of the paintings that I donated from any of the other foundations as I did from Irene. When the economy crashed, 2008, she did a lecture in the mid-west and auctioned one of my paintings for around $800. She emailed me that I saved the fundraising event for her. Since Alex passed, I have not been as involved in donating paintings. Sadly, I discovered that some of the paintings that I donated to some of these other foundations were being kept by the owners of rescues and sanctuaries. When I learned that this was going on, I stopped giving these donation (paintings) out. I work with oils in the style of the old masters which takes me months to complete a painting. So learning where my painting were ending up was very upsetting to me. Irene is the only one that I help with "cash" donations at this time.

Thank you for your kind words about my paintings! ~C

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
CLMoss said:
Hi, I was very active in the "parrot world," donating to different rescues, sanctuaries and WPT (World Parrot Trust, to help indangered species). Irene and I would see each other at different events, and I would go to her lectures. I loved the work that she was doing with Alex and how she wanted to apply some of her methods to disabled children. So to help her I would paint paintings of Alex and donate them to her foundation so she could auction them. Irene is just a doll. I never received such gratitude and thankfulness from any of the paintings that I donated from any of the other foundations as I did from Irene. When the economy crashed, 2008, she did a lecture in the mid-west and auctioned one of my paintings for around $800. She emailed me that I saved the fundraising event for her. Since Alex passed, I have not been as involved in donating paintings. Sadly, I discovered that some of the paintings that I donated to some of these other foundations were being kept by the owners of rescues and sanctuaries. When I learned that this was going on, I stopped giving these donation (paintings) out. I work with oils in the style of the old masters which takes me months to complete a painting. So learning where my painting were ending up was very upsetting to me. Irene is the only one that I help with "cash" donations at this time.

Wow, what a story. Sorry some of your paintings were being misused. You'll be happy to know, though, that Irene has a couple other African grey parrots, so even though Alex is gone, the research on these smart birds continues. :)

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
GeoTerraTestudo said:
CLMoss said:

Wow, what a story. Sorry some of your paintings were being misused. You'll be happy to know, though, that Irene has a couple other African grey parrots, so even though Alex is gone, the research on these smart birds continues. :)

Yes, I know. But Alex was the "star". She had worked with Alex for such a long time, I think 28 years. The other two are really not that special... ~C

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cljohnson said:

:D :D

As for those paintings , words fail me at how great they are. Those are beyond works of art.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Jacqui said:
cljohnson said:

:D :D

As for those paintings , words fail me at how great they are. Those are beyond works of art.

Thank you Jacqui! I really love painting them. They just come alive on my canvas! It is very exciting! LOL!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CLMoss said:
Thank you Jacqui! I really love painting them. They just come alive on my canvas! It is very exciting! LOL!

I would imagine it would be. I am in awe of folks like you and the talent you have... and a whole lot jealous. :D I am one of those frustrated types who can't draw, can't write, and can't sing. I guess somebody has to be the ones to sit in the audience and appreciate fine work when we see it.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
clare n said:
My husband has a grey, billy. He does the microwave, both our message tones (we hunt about for our phones only to find an empty screen...) he also does the whistle on the mcdonalds advert. His most used phrases are "see ya later mate" when he hears door keys, he shouts "OLIVER" (our cat when he's naughty) at the top of his voice, "GARY, c'mon, in" (other cat) and he mimics newton spot on, when he's nipped gets told "up. Now". Knows he has a time out coming.... So he just repeats it. He likes a swear...He fell off his top perch, got himself up, exclaimed "sh*t" with a very pronounced T then kept tutting, huffing and saying oh god, all the way back up to the top. It was so funny. I know they aren't meant to use phrases in context, but he managed ok that day haha. Admittedly he is super intelligent, and beautiful, but he terrorises me when newtons not at home.... He hates me and knows how to push my buttons....

3f509a14.jpg

9e032d81.jpg
Billy is a beautiful Grey! Do you know for sure that he is a male?

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
i used to be a bird lover like you but then...... i took an arrow in the knee :/

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
CLMoss said:

No, we think he is a she... All the signs are pointing that way. But DNA is the only sure way I believe and the vet stresses him (her!?) out so there's no gain for bill if we know :)

Ethan D said:
i used to be a bird lover like you but then...... i took an arrow in the knee :/

Agreed! Only mine wasn't an arrow to the knee, it was a beak to the face ;)

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
clare n said:
CLMoss said:

No, we think he is a she... All the signs are pointing that way. But DNA is the only sure way I believe and the vet stresses him (her!?) out so there's no gain for bill if we know :)

Ethan D said:

I have had a lovebird and a parakeet/budgie, and i would get a macaw, but they are a lot of work and $

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
clare n said:
CLMoss said:

Ethan D said:

I have painted many Greys and studied subtle differences between the males and females. Your Grey (by looking at the head) I believe is a male. If you can tell me how old Billy is and take a good photo of his tail (under side) I may be able to give you my guess of the sex.

painting grey2.jpg One of my paintings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mel

5 Year Member
CLMoss said:
[quote='clare n' pid='489916' dateline='1342847258 I know they aren't meant to use phrases in context, but he managed ok that day haha.

I'm not sure what you mean about not using the text in context but my Grey does respond appropriately to the phone ringing or me calling my kids. She says night night only when it is bedtime, etc.

If I'm not mistaken Greys are smarter in general than Macaws and my Macaw would do the same. Not exactly a conversation but appropriate responses. ;)

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
Thank you clmoss, I will get my husband to get one and post it. I'd do it myself but once all my fingers were gone I'd have no hope of using a keyboard :)
And by context- what I mean is they can't use language like we do can they, for a purpose, they get used to "night" at night etc, because we say it regularly and he says see you later mate when he hears the keys, but for example unless we taught him to, he wouldn't say "yummm" when he eats. He says it all the time even when he's ripping paper, Aaaah it's hard to explain and I don't think that makes sense :p :) there's one called Einstein who does, but he's trained.

I skim read the last part, intending to come back to it, (it's early here and I think I'm sitting on my glasses) so I assumed that was a photo. On a second look, that is absolutely amazing. What a talent you have, that looks incredible! looks like a photograph.

Status
Not open for further replies.