What Makes The Reptile Community Toxic?

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
I've been seeing a lot of chatter online from various people about how the reptile community is toxic. I partially agree. I want to know what you think makes it toxic. That's it. Whether it be media, distribution of information, or in some people's cases even cyber bullying. What can we do to improve? I shall sit back and see what you guys have to say.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have contact with anyone in the 'reptile community' besides those here on the Forum. And being toxic isn't what I'd call our Forum. I love this place and all its people, even the ones who give me a hard time.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I don't have contact with anyone in the 'reptile community' besides those here on the Forum. And being toxic isn't what I'd call our Forum. I love this place and all its people, even the ones who give me a hard time.
Not the forum. Keepers of reptiles in general.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There seems to be some toxicity between groups.
That's why I no longer visit any FACEBOOK tortoise groups.
It seems like each of those has it's own agenda. Including the spreading of some horrible information. It can and does get absolutely crazy.
But I also see no real toxic content here on THIS forum. And our agenda is to help others.
Most of us just stay here because we know better.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think the reptile community is just like any other community, very protective of their chosen species (or is it 'order'?) Here on TFO we sometimes tell keepers we're here for the torts, not the keeper's ego. We tell the truth, which not everyone wants to hear.

I suppose if someone was on the receiving end of that truth, s(he) could think it came from a toxic environment, when in reality it came from someone who cares about the animal.

I have only been involved with reptiles since 2017, mostly on this forum. I have never seen any toxicity among members. Disagreements, sure! Put 2 people together and there will be disagreement, then add the many 1000's of TFO members.

Groups of enthusiasts, whether it be for reptiles, fish, birds, dogs, cats, or pot-bellied pigs...are all pretty much the same. Joking, jostling, expounding, jealous, envious, "the VERY BEST way is...my way!", argumentative, rabble-rousing, helpful, patient, kind...but toxic? Maybe a few individuals here and there, but not enough to label the whole group as such.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I think the reptile community is just like any other community, very protective of their chosen species (or is it 'order'?) Here on TFO we sometimes tell keepers we're here for the torts, not the keeper's ego. We tell the truth, which not everyone wants to hear.

I suppose if someone was on the receiving end of that truth, s(he) could think it came from a toxic environment, when in reality it came from someone who cares about the animal.

I have only been involved with reptiles since 2017, mostly on this forum. I have never seen any toxicity among members. Disagreements, sure! Put 2 people together and there will be disagreement, then add the many 1000's of TFO members.

Groups of enthusiasts, whether it be for reptiles, fish, birds, dogs, cats, or pot-bellied pigs...are all pretty much the same. Joking, jostling, expounding, jealous, envious, "the VERY BEST way is...my way!", argumentative, rabble-rousing, helpful, patient, kind...but toxic? Maybe a few individuals here and there, but not enough to label the whole group as such.
Good point, but I have to reiterate I'm not talking about the tortoise forum.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
I feel like there are a lot of reptile keepers out there who keep very exotic species as a trophy or show of status. A "I have it and you don't" mentality, which are signs of an egotist, which some (not all of them obviously), are. Sadly, this also means that they don't really see their animals as living beings, but more like an expensive watch or car. Once an animal loses its rarity and prestige they stop giving a **** about it, and almost always results in suffering for the animal.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I feel like there are a lot of reptile keepers out there who keep very exotic species as a trophy or show of status. A "I have it and you don't" mentality, which are signs of an egotist, which some (not all of them obviously), are. Sadly, this also means that they don't really see their animals as living beings, but more like an expensive watch or car. Once an animal loses its rarity and prestige they stop giving a **** about it, and almost always results in suffering for the animal.
Don't worry they'll get bit...???

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Well said

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been seeing a lot of chatter online from various people about how the reptile community is toxic. I partially agree. I want to know what you think makes it toxic. That's it. Whether it be media, distribution of information, or in some people's cases even cyber bullying. What can we do to improve? I shall sit back and see what you guys have to say.
I don't know what you mean by toxic, but I don't see it. I've been going to the reptile shows since the early 90s, worked in pet shops starting in the mid 80's, and I've been keeping my own reptiles starting in the 70s'. I hang out with reptile people from all over the country and I see enthusiasm, camaraderie, encouragement, information sharing, and lots of smiles all around. I find new friends, mentors, and students on a regular basis. Nothing toxic about it. Quite the opposite.

There are jackasses everywhere in all walks of life. In years past we had a few here on TFO. But that is very few and far between as far as the reptile community as a whole is concerned. At least that's how it is from where I'm sitting. Maybe you could elaborate on what you mean by toxic?

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Generally I avoid pet forums and groups. There's no arguing with "I've been raising _____ for 50 years and the pet store back in 1975 said.." ? Even my professional groups I've hidden away because I just don't want to see the drama until I'm the mood to handle it. The internet just sucks. Sometimes. You guys are nice :)

I can give you an outsider's view on why some people may view herp enthusiasts as negative:

#1 Dislike for snakes and live-feeding reptiles. If you have pet bunnies, rodents, chickens, even pigs, then you don't want to hear people referring to the animals you know and love as if they aren't living things. (Which from the snake owner's view, is understandably a psychological thing, you don't want to get attached to your pet's food) Tied into this is

#2 Myths about people picking up/breeding litters of puppies and kittens to feed to their snake. Also tied into

#3 The "Freak Show." The actual type that actually would do #2 and brag about it, making all reptile enthusiasts sound unhinged and without any empathy or respect. There are very questionable websites dedicated to live feeding that make snake owners sound like outright sociopaths, while most actual snake owners would even be a tad uncomfortable

#4 The "stereotype" - large bikers with tattoos that show off their big snakes in public can be pretty intimidating. Other reptile enthusiasts know you're a teddy bear, though.

#5 Unethical breeders. They're in every corner of the animal world, but some reason, a lot of reptile enthusiasts will turn a blind eye to terrible health issues just because the animal can make pretty babies and gets the big $$$. We're talking severe neurological issues, even fatal genes.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Generally I avoid pet forums and groups. There's no arguing with "I've been raising _____ for 50 years and the pet store back in 1975 said.." ? Even my professional groups I've hidden away because I just don't want to see the drama until I'm the mood to handle it. The internet just sucks. Sometimes. You guys are nice :)

I can give you an outsider's view on why some people may view herp enthusiasts as negative:

#1 Dislike for snakes and live-feeding reptiles. If you have pet bunnies, rodents, chickens, even pigs, then you don't want to hear people referring to the animals you know and love as if they aren't living things. (Which from the snake owner's view, is understandably a psychological thing, you don't want to get attached to your pet's food) Tied into this is

#2 Myths about people picking up/breeding litters of puppies and kittens to feed to their snake. Also tied into

#3 The "Freak Show." The actual type that actually would do #2 and brag about it, making all reptile enthusiasts sound unhinged and without any empathy or respect. There are very questionable websites dedicated to live feeding that make snake owners sound like outright sociopaths, while most actual snake owners would even be a tad uncomfortable

#4 The "stereotype" - large bikers with tattoos that show off their big snakes in public can be pretty intimidating. Other reptile enthusiasts know you're a teddy bear, though.

#5 Unethical breeders. They're in every corner of the animal world, but some reason, a lot of reptile enthusiasts will turn a blind eye to terrible health issues just because the animal can make pretty babies and gets the big $$$. We're talking severe neurological issues, even fatal genes.
Well said