Reptile Zoo Pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
Hi guys! So, on my birthday my boyfriend and I went to this "Serpentarium" in Monroe, Washington. (I was in Seattle for the holidays). I'll post the other reptiles here, and I'll put the tortoises and turtles in the Photos section.
Overall, I'm pretty torn on what to say about the place. There were huge discrepancies in the level of care from animal to animal; some had huge, great enclosures, and some looked neglected. However, it was definitely an amazing collection. All of their venomous snakes were defanged, which is a practice I'm sure is controversial, but seems to me to be pretty cruel. All of the snakes looked in great shape though; very active, and most had great big enclosures. The tortoises didn't look so great. I took pictures of literally every single animal, and I've uploaded quite a few of them.

P1000802.jpg

Basking water monitor, with a view of Monroe :) When I peaked over the edge of their enclosure, the one on the ground started pacing/trying to stand up to reach me. Really awesome creatures.

P1000796.jpg

Albino American Alligator basking/napping. His enclosure was a bit larger than this picture makes it seem, but it was very empty. He is a 5 year old male.

P1000797.jpg

Another American Alligator, separate enclosure.

P1000785.jpg

11 year old Reticulated Python- he had a huge enclosure, with a giant tree/stump thing to climb.

P1000773.jpg

Green Iguana.

P1000781.jpg

Rhinoceros Iguana!

P1000772.jpg

Emerald Tree Boa, one of my favorite snakes of all time.

P1000902.jpg

Argentine Black and white Tegu! I spent a lot of time with this guy. He was napping, but whenever anyone would stop by to look at him, he'd open one eye and give you a look. His enclosure looked okay to me, but a bit dry/boring, and no places to burrow.
P1000901.jpg

He is so beautiful though.

P1000900.jpg

This guy is an Ambon Sail-Tailed Lizard. He was Noah's favorite, because whenever we would walk by he would stare right at us, or try to leap at us. I took this picture during the one second when he was holding still.

P1000898.jpg

Veiled Chameleon, very interested in the camera.

P1000892.jpg

I believe this was one of the Black throated Monitors, he was itching his neck on his stump.

P1000879.jpg

Albino Monocled Cobra, really beautiful snake, and awesome personality.
P1000880.jpg

P1000868.jpg

Green tree python.

P1000865.jpg

Moroccan Uromastyx.

P1000862.jpg

Frilled Lizard.

P1000861.jpg

This guy is a Cuban Rock Iguana, if I remember correctly.

P1000860.jpg

Neotropical x Easter Diamondback cross.

P1000853.jpg

P1000847.jpg

Green Anaconda, with just her nose peaking out of the water.

P1000849.jpg

Me, trying to comprehend being next to a snake that could eat me. :)

P1000845.jpg

Albino Burmese Python
P1000840.jpg

P1000842.jpg

Taiwanese Beauty Snake

P1000940.jpg

Crested Gecko! He was alone in a 18 x 18 x 24 Exo Terra.

P1000918.jpg

Awesome Bearded Dragon enclosure

P1000920.jpg

African Bullfrog, roughly the size of a dinner plate!

P1000911.jpg

Here's a link to all the photos I uploaded!
http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy148/kayti88/Reptile%20Zoo/

chadk

10 Year Member!
Great pics!

This place is just 10 minutes from my house :)

Your "Ambon Sail-Tailed Lizard" is actually a green chinese water dragon. I have 2 :) Sometimes their signs get messed up as they are always moving things around.

They seem to take pretty good care of their critters. Not perfect, but better than a lot of places. I can get picky about things (like the bearded dragons and torts), but in general, they try really hard.

They have grown a LOT over the years. And keep in mind that lots of their animals are just dumped off on them. So the torts that look really bad probably came that way.

I visite them a few times a year. My kids love it. I could spend all day there :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, those are some really interesting photos! I'll never forget a photo I saw in a book in some classroom I was teaching, that showed either a python or an anaconda (it was in Asia, so probably python) consuming a deer. A large deer.

That is one country I will not be visiting. I'll view the photo books, thank you very much!;)

Glad you got to go on such a fun outing for your birthday!:D

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Venomous are illegal in Washington.. Now I'm confused. Does that not apply to venomoids, or do the authorities just not give a crap?

They're all very pretty. I especially like the Taiwan Beauty... (But I might just be biased--moody or not, my TBS is among my favorites.) Is that one above the anaconda some kind of skink? Skinks are such awesome animals! (Oh, and by the way, your photobucket album can't be accessed without a password. I wanna see mooore! xD)

I'll definitely have to stop by that place if ever I'm in the area. =)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Please post more if you have them! Its funny, I know people that keep several of those species in private collections as pets! Including the monitors, rhino igs, skins, most of the chondros, and of course the tegu and crested, both of which I have!

I'd love to see more pictures though! Oh, and love the hat! :)

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
chadk said:
Your "Ambon Sail-Tailed Lizard" is actually a green chinese water dragon. I have 2 :) Sometimes their signs get messed up as they are always moving things around.

You're totally right! And it was my fault- I just noticed you can see the reflection of the tegu in the glass, and the sail-tailed was across the room!
Here's the real Ambon Sail-Tailed:
P1000966.jpg

P1000968.jpg

I'd love to see more pictures though! Oh, and love the hat!

And I just fixed the album so it's public!

Might be nice to add a pic of the BF too!

Here's a picture of Noah next to an albino ? climbing the glass!
17039_1198395756642_1130940108_30534331_2864936_n.jpg

And here he is when I forced him to stand next to the white's tree frog enclosure for a size reference :D
P1000938.jpg

He's the best boyfriend ever. He drove up from Portland after he got back from Honolulu to surprise me for my birfday :p

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Shelly said:
You don't look old enough to have a boyfriend.

The zoo trip was for her 21st bday. :D

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
I'll scan you a copy of my driver's license if you don't believe me! :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like it was an interesting and fun place for you two to spend some time. Sounds like a pretty special guy to me. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Kayti,
thanks for sharing the nice pictures with us :) What a nice way to spend the day (your Birthday :D). I am sure you and your boyfriend spent a wonderful day :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Awesome pictures!! Thanks for sharing :)
And Happy Belated Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.