What kind of wood & liner?

Jami

Hi there,

I've read new threads and old threads and I'm still not sure so I'm going to start a new one. I have a Hermann's hatchling. My brother in law heard me saying that many people think a wooden enclosure is the best way to go. He offered to build new one.

He has scrap wood that smelled like pine. What kind of wood is acceptable and nice looking? This was nice looking but smelled pretty strongly. What do I line it with? Are shower curtains really strong enough? Do they handle the heat of a merc vapor lamp?

Is wood, lined with plastic, truly better than the aquarium type set up I have now? (Other than based on size). When the Dover grows a bit I was going to buy the cage offered by big apple pet supply that looks a lot like an over sized guinea pig cage. Deep plastic bottom, large metal mesh-like sides and top.

Please, please give me ideas and feedback. I'm not sure if going to wood and lining it is the way to go or not. Please help.

Thanks,
Jami

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Yes a shower curtain works just fine. All it does is help hold moisture in your sub-straight and keep the water from rotting out the wood. There are several other things that work like pond liner but a shower curtain is cheap. You can do what I did... I spent $1.77 on a roll of 2mil plastic and double or triple it up. This can be found in the paint section of any hardware store, it's used to drape over furniture when you paint.

Pine is fine for the 2x4 framing but I would think you would want some better quality plywood for the sides/bottom. Something that you can paint or stain.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Wood enclosures are great because you can get the size you want-big! Built right & you would not need another as your little one grows. Both of mine were made from twin bedframes and plywood we used cheap paneling to pretty up the outside. They are lined with tarpes and painted with killz paint for basements. I let the paint dry for a lil over a week I think. I used a pc of foam insulation board for a lid which is great to control humidity. I do think that I read that pine is not good for torts... hopefully some one will chime in on that!

Jami

Yes a shower curtain works just fine. All it does is help hold moisture in your sub-straight and keep the water from rotting out the wood. There are several other things that work like pond liner but a shower curtain is cheap. You can do what I did... I spent $1.77 on a roll of 2mil plastic and double or triple it up. This can be found in the paint section of any hardware store, it's used to drape over furniture when you paint.

Pine is fine for the 2x4 framing but I would think you would want some better quality plywood for the sides/bottom. Something that you can paint or stain.
Ok. How did you attach it? The wood was very nice looking and thick. What did you stain or paint yours with that is tort safe?
THANKS!

Jami

Wood enclosures are great because you can get the size you want-big! Built right & you would not need another as your little one grows. Both of mine were made from twin bedframes and plywood we used cheap paneling to pretty up the outside. They are lined with tarpes and painted with killz paint for basements. I let the paint dry for a lil over a week I think. I used a pc of foam insulation board for a lid which is great to control humidity. I do think that I read that pine is not good for torts... hopefully some one will chime in on that!
Thank you! Did you paint first and then line it? What did you attach the tarps with? You painted the inside walls or both sides? I think I read that pine is not good too so I'm going to let him know that. But I'm not sure anymore. I've read so much!

Thanks again!

Jami

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I stapled the plastic down. I stained the wood on the exterior side and left it raw wood on the inner side. I think I will use a sealer on the inside of my next one. Something like Thompson's Water seal. The era wood is sucking up all my humidity so I think sealing it will help that. Mine is completely closed for my Redfoot.

I forgot to mention do not use OSB or MDF wood for your siding. Use plywood or wood paneling. OSB and MDF are basically saw dust and small chips of wood compressed and glued together and will come apart when exposed to heat an moisture. This wood will also release it's nasty chemicals when it separates on you.

Do you have a set of plans drawn out yet?

Jami

I stapled the plastic down. I stained the wood on the exterior side and left it raw wood on the inner side. I think I will use a sealer on the inside of my next one. Something like Thompson's Water seal. The era wood is sucking up all my humidity so I think sealing it will help that. Mine is completely closed for my Redfoot.

I forgot to mention do not use OSB or MDF wood for your siding. Use plywood or wood paneling. OSB and MDF are basically saw dust and small chips of wood compressed and glued together and will come apart when exposed to heat an moisture. This wood will also release it's nasty chemicals when it separates on you.

Do you have a set of plans drawn out yet?
No set of plans -honestly, I think it will just be a rectangular box. Thanks for telling me about the ones to stay away from. I think I read while researching that Thompsons water seal may not be a good idea. If you do a search you should find it. I could be very wrong, tho. I'm liking the idea of the kilz for basements.
Thanks!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
No set of plans -honestly, I think it will just be a rectangular box. Thanks for telling me about the ones to stay away from. I think I read while researching that Thompsons water seal may not be a good idea. If you do a search you should find it. I could be very wrong, tho. I'm liking the idea of the kilz for basements.
Thanks!

Yeah product might not work, haven't checked yet. I think the key to finding something that does work is getting something that is no VOC's

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have a wood table, (maple) that I sprayed that rain-coat stuff in all around the floor/sides. It smelled a little funny, so I let it air out and now it is fine. It has lasted a long time, protects the wood, and best thing, my tort can;t rip/scratch it open.

Jami

I have a wood table, (maple) that I sprayed that rain-coat stuff in all around the floor/sides. It smelled a little funny, so I let it air out and now it is fine. It has lasted a long time, protects the wood, and best thing, my tort can;t rip/scratch it open.
That's cool. I never thought of that. Thanks!

Jami

Hi again. Do you remember what the rain coat product is? I'm not sure what to look for or where...

Thanks!
Jami

Jami

Ha! Just as I posted this we found it online. There's an oil based 1 and a water based 1. I'm thinking it's the water based as the safest?

Thanks!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I bought it at Costco (flexseal!) You can probably find it elsewheres too, but I got a really good deal! As I said, it smells funny at first, but after a few days in the wind outside, it smelled fine :D

Jami

I bought it at Costco (flexseal!) You can probably find it elsewheres too, but I got a really good deal! As I said, it smells funny at first, but after a few days in the wind outside, it smelled fine :D
Good to know! The one that's actually called rain coat is discontinued. Thanks for letting me know!!!!