What Kind Of Tortoise do I have?!

MENCHIE.jpgphoto 1 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPGphoto 4 (2).JPGI am so confused: I bought her from petsmart a couple days before thanksgiving she was labeled a Russian tortoise. People on instagram are telling me she is a greek, golden greek. I dont know what to think. I was just wondering what you guys were thinking?!
Thank you,
Kelsey & Menchie:tort:

post pictures if you have the same tort you think she is, I would love to see thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Are you going to be upset or disappointed, when you find out it is NOT a Russian?

But WOW! How lucky are you! You got a split scute.

No I would rather know what she is for sure! I went back to pet smart and asked the lady who sold her to me her answer was "sign said Russian"! she just has a lighter shell and not as many darker spots as a Russian should have, she also has a raised shell, I'm not sure what species that is most closely related to!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not a Russian. I think it is a Greek, but I don really see a lot of them too say 100%, but 95%

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui: were you waiting for a good response before deciding whether or not to be the bearer of bad news?

LOL! I'm not afraid! I'll jump right in.

russiantortoisemenchie: Welcome to the Forum!!

I know that "Graecatortoisemenchie" doesn't seem to have the same nice ring to it, however, I'm afraid your friends on instagram were correct!

At any rate, Menchie is a beautiful tortoise and a very nice addition you your household.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
You sir have a golden Greek

And no he is not a Russian. Lol. I personally think you got the better end of the deal for I find Greeks a lot better than Russians.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The only difference in the eyes of Petsmart is the price! Greeks are around $20 cheaper. If they charged you for a Russian you are due a refund.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
russiantortoisemenchie said:
We still love her the same! Are greek and Golden Greeks the same thing?
Thank you so much!!

Golden Greeks are the same but different sub species. You never want to mix different species and sub species. The reason behind that is that even though they are the same species, different sub species carries different bacteria that can be lethal to others.

Saleama said:
The only difference in the eyes of Petsmart is the price! Greeks are around $20 cheaper. If they charged you for a Russian you are due a refund.

Weird out Russians are cheaper than the Greeks. Greeks can get hefty.

I must say, she is beautiful! Love the doomed shell!

Thank you guys so much!!!
We are definitely going to get her checked by a vet, and if we do end up getting her a friend we will be sure to get it from a reputable breeder!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yvonne G said:
Jacqui: were you waiting for a good response before deciding whether or not to be the bearer of bad news?

Yeppers! I just hate always being the bearer of bad news.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a word of advice. Do what YOU want to do, for YOU, but don't get another tortoise because you think your existing tortoise wants a friend...he doesn't. Tortoises like to be alone. They have their own territory and they try to chase new tortoises out of their territory. The Mediterranean species, of which yours is one, especially don't play well with others. If YOU want another tortoise, then get one, but set him up in his own territory, don't add him in with your existing tortoise.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
From the looks on the picture, I believe that you have a testudo greaca greaca. ^_^ just in case your interested on what species he is.

Yvonne G said:
Just a word of advice. Do what YOU want to do, for YOU, but don't get another tortoise because you think your existing tortoise wants a friend...he doesn't. Tortoises like to be alone. They have their own territory and they try to chase new tortoises out of their territory. The Mediterranean species, of which yours is one, especially don't play well with others. If YOU want another tortoise, then get one, but set him up in his own territory, don't add him in with your existing tortoise.

I agree with Yvonne. They do tend to get very territorial. Also, keep in mind, you have to quarantine before you introduce your tortoises. Knowing that you got yours from petsmart, chances are she is wild caught. You don't want to introduce them together until you are fully sure that they are healthy.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Re: RE: What Kind Of Tortoise do I have?!

Jlant85 said:
From the looks on the picture, I believe that you have a testudo greaca greaca. ^_^ just in case your interested on what species he is.

Yvonne G said:

I agree with Yvonne. They do tend to get very territorial. Also, keep in mind, you have to quarantine before you introduce your tortoises. Knowing that you got yours from petsmart, chances are she is wild caught. You don't want to introduce them together until you are fully sure that they are healthy.

I would disagree with you both,I have many greeks in groups they do great together just supply plenty of room and not to over crowd them have a good ratio of male's and female's, I go with one male to every four female's.

I would not label your Greek a golden Greek,but middle eastern greek instead, golden Greeks are more yellow very little black or spotting on the shell with orange to yellow skin with or without a black mask.Many people label them golden but they are in fact a common middle eastern greeks that's way it was at petsmart, true golden Greeks will carry a higher price in my experience dealing with Greeks from the middle east.

shellbabymom

5 Year Member
I bought my tort in march at petsmart! He us a greek. Although exactly what kind of greek, I don't know. He looks exactly like your tort though!

Attachments

• 1386872234448.jpg
    1386872234448.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1386872261771.jpg
    1386872261771.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 1386872290644.jpg
    1386872290644.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 64