What type of tortoise do I have?

theirishredlady

Location (City and/or State)
Centerville
Hi I need some help. I bought a baby tortoise a couple months ago from a breeder online. I was supposed to get a baby male Greek tortoise. After having him for a little while I decided I wanted to try to get a female only i didn't know what type of Greek tortoise he was. After looking online I read that the plastron marking on mine sounded like a marginated not a Greek. So I would appreciate any help figuring out for sure what kind of tortoise I have.IMG_20200708_224621_5.jpgIMG_20200708_224204_7.jpgIMG_20200708_224117_1.jpgIMG_20200708_224044_9.jpg

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Hi I need some help. I bought a baby tortoise a couple months ago from a breeder online. I was supposed to get a baby male Greek tortoise. After having him for a little while I decided I wanted to try to get a female only i didn't know what type of Greek tortoise he was. After looking online I read that the plastron marking on mine sounded like a marginated not a Greek. So I would appreciate any help figuring out for sure what kind of tortoise I have.View attachment 299580View attachment 299581View attachment 299582View attachment 299583
Your tortoise is definitely a Marginated tortoise. They have the triangle markings on their bellies.

Greeks have random black spotting on their bellies.

Also, there's no guarantee for gender, even if a breeder incubates at particular temperatures. I've purchased numerous hatchlings that were incubated to be males and females, and when they were big enough to confirm gender they were the opposite of what was hoped for.

theirishredlady

Centerville
Your tortoise is definitely a Marginated tortoise. They have the triangle markings on their bellies.

Greeks have random black spotting on their bellies.

Also, there's no guarantee for gender, even if a breeder incubates at particular temperatures. I've purchased numerous hatchlings that were incubated to be males and females, and when they were big enough to confirm gender they were the opposite of what was hoped for.

theirishredlady

Centerville
Thank you so much. That's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it with someone. Even though I didn't get the type of tortoise I thought I was buying he has a great little personality and I wouldn't trade him for the world.