What kind of tortoise do I have?

kristen3

A family friend said he walked up to him while he was in his pasture. He fallowed him around for a bit. He knew I wanted one for my son so he gave it to my uncle to give to me. This poor guy looks like he got beat up by something but he is used to people and very tolerant of children. I think he was someone's pet the got out or released. I've looked up to see if I could figure out what he is and he kinda looks like a golden greek or a leopard

20150831_110407.jpeg IMG_8768.jpg 20150831_110407.jpeg 20150831_110629.jpeg IMG_8768.jpg IMG_0935.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kristen3

We are in Louisiana. Lol we don't get many wild fires but where he was found was a farming community so I thought it was a bush hog. He is very pretty and sweet. Thank you.

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
He certainly has had it rough. The shell damage makes ID a bit hard for me. Others will come along with a positive ID.

I'd give him a good soak in warm water about up to his neck. Looks like he's been dry awhile.

Could've been in a brush fire. Or burned by too close heat lamps in captivity.

He's not a baby , so will need some space in an enclosure. Don't know where you are , but once you know what he is, there are lots of care " stickeys" at top of species specific threads.

kristen3

I gave him a bath last night that's how I found out he was a he lol. But he didn't seem to like it much. Although I have to say he is more social today. He was even showing interest in my brothers lab and he's eating today.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I think this is the 3rd. Large leopard found wandering in Louisiana. Weird. Wonder why so many. The other one was (can't remember exactly) but around New Orleans. I know they burn the sugar cane fields. Any cane fields in the area where your found this guy. Its hard for me to get a great look on my phone though. None the less I'd apply some chlorHexadine scrub and clean it up. Are yall planning on keeping the leopard? They're awesome tortoises. And in your state of southern can keep them out almost all year. Besides extreme winter nights and cold days.

kristen3

This one was found in lake Charles in a hay field. I do want to keep him. He had this injury for a while I cleaned him with baby soap. Will his shell ever grow back? If not it won't bother my I just want him to be comfortable.

Alaskamike

South Florida
This one was found in lake Charles in a hay field. I do want to keep him. He had this injury for a while I cleaned him with baby soap. Will his shell ever grow back? If not it won't bother my I just want him to be comfortable.
It might grow back. But it takes years.
You never know.
A caution about the Lab. I have 2 70lb " pups" myself. And they are never alone with my tortoises.

Things can go along just great and then one day they don't. Chew damage can be fatal.

Good fortune with this one. Looks like he found a good home :)

kristen3

I've been watching her all day. She's scared of him. This is the closest they have been since I brought him home.

Attachments

• 1441126809104.jpg
    1441126809104.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 40

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome. Leopards are great tortoises. I would be cautious around the dogs though. Just better safe than sorry. Could you snap a pic of its underside? Looks like if it's male that's a huge male. I'd say by shape appears to be female. But need to see the tail and underside. Is your backyard fenced in good? They're easy at this size and just graze on grass.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristen, and welcome to the Forum!

What a great find. I wish I could ever find a tortoise.

Your new leopard tortoise is going to need a lot of space to wander. Make sure to build him a safe, escape-proof fence (not the wire fence in one of your pictures).

The shell will always look like that, however, new keratin and bone is growing UNDER the damaged portion. Eventually, because the dead portion isn't growing and the new part underneath IS growing, the old, dead part gets tight and is eventually forced to pop off. It may take over a year.

kristen3

The fence in the picture was a box turtle fence my grandmother has. He stayed there for a couple hours until I brought him to my house. We have a large fenced in area. It should work until I can build his enclosure. Here's the picture of his belly. His tail is 7 or 8 inches long.

Attachments

• 20150901_123932.jpg
    20150901_123932.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 38

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Great find. I have to tell you my dog story. My dog ignored my leopard for years until one day she didn't. My tortoise was found upside down on the deck. He was badly chewed in several spots with some broken off pieces around the edges. I was lucky and there was no punctures or crushed parts. My tortoise survived, but 3 years later he has the scars. Don't make the mistake I made.
Welcome to the forum.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man why can't I find Tortoises walking around ?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The fence in the picture was a box turtle fence my grandmother has. He stayed there for a couple hours until I brought him to my house. We have a large fenced in area. It should work until I can build his enclosure. Here's the picture of his belly. His tail is 7 or 8 inches long.
Yep that's a boy. A huge boy too. He must be quite old

kristen3

Thank you. The dog will be going soon my brother finally got a house and is going to take her home by the end of the week. I have to say he is Heavy. Around 25 lb I think.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thank you. The dog will be going soon my brother finally got a house and is going to take her home by the end of the week. I have to say he is Heavy. Around 25 lb I think.
That's a massive male leopard. I wonder what his story is. I had one close to that size but not quite that big years back. He was too aggressive and pestered the females. But he will be a very good solo pet.

kristen3

Mine isn't very agressive but he only turtles I've seen him around were a couple box turtles and he just pushed them like he didn't even see them.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That is a leopard. Poor thing, he seems to have had hard times.Take good care of him.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.