What is too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Here in the north, we have to put our torts inside for many months out of the year because it is too cold out. Those of you in the hotter areas (like Arizona) is there such a thing as too hot for tortoises? If they have shade can they stay out during the heat? Realizing of course that this is somewhat dependent on species, since, for example, red foots need humidity AND heat, and excluding those circumstances. Just wondering, does anyone bring in their torts because its too hot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
An average summer day here in my part of Central California is around 95 degrees. Sometimes it gets up in the 100's and occasionally up to 110 or 112, but that is rare. I have Russians, Gopherus agassizii, Leopards and a big sulcata that are all out in the open with only perimeter shade. I don't worry about them getting too hot, as they all either dig down into the earth or stay inside their houses, which are in the shade. The other torts, which are all housed in areas with nice shade trees, the Manouria, Yellowfoot, Aldabran and box turtles have a misting system draped in and around their areas, and this keeps the area not-quite-so-miserable! I also have a couple breeding pairs of Brotogeris jugularis (orange chin parakeets) that originate from northern South America. On really hot days they pant and stand with their wings spread, but the misting system helps them too.

A couple of folks on the YAHOO Gopherus list took readings inside their tortoises' burrows of the temperature and humidity. It was found to be much cooler deep down inside a burrow than the above ground temp.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
I have Greeks and California DTs that are outside all summer. They, like Yvonne said, dig down in the heat. I however do bring the hatchlings in when the heat gets extream, 103+ as their outside pen is much shallower than the adults so they can not dig as deep. All my torts have shaded areas in their pens. I am in Southern CA and have quiet a few days that the temps are high.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Thanks Robyn and Yvonne. Hadn't thought about a misting system. And ours don't dig holes outside but they always come in at night. I bet torts can do real damage to a yard with holes and such.

We have summer days that are in the 90's and break 100 on occasion. The torts just find a shady spot and wait it out. We were curious how a tortoise would do when the temps rise to 115-120. But hadn't thought of them digging their own holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.