How Hot is Too Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just put 3 thermometers in my 40gal aquarium and found out the hot side is 118 degree, the middle is 90 degrees and the cool side is 80 degrees. I have 2 sulcata hatchling and 3 leopard hatchling in there and they always seem to stay on the hot side of the tank. Their food dish is on the cool side, they are eating fine and are active, I'm just wondering if temps over 110 degrees will cause any adverse effects. I can't get the temp down any lower unless I turn of the heat emitter.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
I would turn off the heat emitter. :D

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
118 is quite hot. I agree with Danny turn off the heat emitter. Are you providing them with a humid hide?

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Crazy1 said:
118 is quite hot. I agree with Danny turn off the heat emitter. Are you providing them with a humid hide?

What is a humid hide?

volans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upland, CA
you can try to adjust the height of the heat lamp on the hot side so that the temp can be suited to whatever temp u'd like it to be.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
A humid hide is a hide you have either placed a sponge on the roof by gluing or affixing a sponge and keeping it damp or using a substrate like sphagnum moss dampened. Even Sulcatas and Leopards need some humidity and a humid hide can help provide that. What type of substrate do you have them on?
Here is a good site that has info on Sulcatas and Leopards.
http://www.africantortoise.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.