Is this Shell Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys, i just wanted your opinions on what this could be. At first i thought it was just a really dry shell, but i took a look at some minor shell rot pictures and it sort of looks like my little guy's.
Info: i got him last week from Petco(I know =T), I brought him to the vet on Saturday and the doctor said he was fine. I asked him is his shell too dry and he said no...anyways, have a look thanks =)View attachment 10592View attachment 10593

p.s. His shell looks cracked in some places, but you can't see it that well in the pic.

anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
Does the vet specialize in torts? To me it doesn't look like shell rot or fungus, but I'm going to wait for someone more experienced with Russian Tortoises to come by and make me put my foot in my mouth! :p
Have you given your new little guy a warm soak? :D

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Stephanie said:
Does the vet specialize in torts? To me it doesn't look like shell rot or fungus, but I'm going to wait for someone more experienced with Russian Tortoises to come by and make me put my foot in my mouth! :p
Have you given your new little guy a warm soak? :D

I give him a warm soak almost everyday. The vet looks at dogs cats and exotics, but I don't think he has much clients that have pet tortoises. He does have some experience with reptiles but more with lizards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see any sign of shell rot there. Looks like a pretty normal healthy Russian carapace to me.

Since he's wild caught, did your vet run a fecal check for worms? If not, you really ought to take a sample in. Its not very expensive and it could save you a lot of money in vet bills down the road.

Stephanie, keep your foot away from your mouth...

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Tom said:
I don't see any sign of shell rot there. Looks like a pretty normal healthy Russian carapace to me.

Since he's wild caught, did your vet run a fecal check for worms? If not, you really ought to take a sample in. Its not very expensive and it could save you a lot of money in vet bills down the road.

Stephanie, keep your foot away from your mouth...

Actually yes, that was my main concern. He told me he did a fecal float and did not find any eggs, but he gave Wallie some meds just to be on the safe side.

What about fungus? Sorry I'm being a bit paranoid. In the past I had a pet rat....and it gave me ringworm....

Status
Not open for further replies.