1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

What is this?

Discussion in 'Plant Identification' started by LeanneW, Jun 15, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. LeanneW

LeanneW New Member Today is my birthday!

Location (City and/or State):
    Oxford
    Hello,

can anyone confirm what this is?

we are in the UK and i am not sure between ragweed or a parsley varient

thanks!

leanne 1560590182917.jpeg 1560590208500.jpeg
  2. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I have looked this up before. I have it in my area. Don’t remember the name but it was a no feed on the tortoise table
  3. Ben02

Ben02 Well-Known Member

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
    It’s butter cup, don’t feed them to your tort. It grows everywhere in my garden at the moment, it’s a pain.
  4. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Newport Coast, CA
    In your area it is likely to be buttercup but I would want to see a five-petaled yellow flower to say for sure. Buttercup is very common where you are. Ragwort grows upright while buttercup spreads low to the ground. Ragwort also has clusters of flowers with many petals, not five. A parsley variant would taste like parsley, if you tried it yourself.

I don’t agree with the extreme warnings on buttercup for my Russian tortoise: wild Russians consume very large quantities of it and we have many UK owners whose tortoises eat them on and off in their own yards without issue. I grow buttercup intentionally for my wild caught Russian. Or at least I try to grow it; she eats it down to the ground.

You should never feel compelled to feed anything you don’t fee comfortable with, of course. As a new owner it’s totally understandable for you to be cautious about new foods. There are plenty of other foods to choose from while you are still learning.